The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Tall people! (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/tall-people-232514/)

sullylvr 07-14-2013 09:02 AM

Tall people!

Hello everyone!
I wanted to start a thread for tall women and girls to discuss and express the troubles they face with being tall. I'm 6ft tall and I've been having a lot of body issues lately and I feel is always good to talk about these things. I go through phases where I don't care about my height and others where I obsess about it. My sister is also tall, 5'10, but I often feel hostile about the fact she's a little more of an average height. SO to other tall people, how have you come to terms with your height? What are y'all sill struggling with? Or at least any words of encouragement? I'm just feeling rather blah about myself.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cacowgirl 07-14-2013 10:33 AM

Always celebrate who you are! We are all unique. Once we accept who we are, we can then reach out to others.

Cruiser 07-14-2013 10:58 AM

I am only 5'9" but around here for a woman that is really tall, average is between 5' to 5'4". Most men are my height.

I don't mind it really, not like I'm going to shrink soon. Long legs make it difficult to find jeans that fit right, or shirts that reach past my waist. My mare is a large pony and I don't like pictures taken because how funny we look, prefer riding horses 16 hh and up for the sake of not looking like a giant.

Like you some days I worry about my height, but most of the time I'm okay with it. Remember your sister is only two inches shorter than you, not much of a difference, and some people would love to be your height.

CandyCanes 07-14-2013 11:21 AM

I'm 6 foot... I cared for a while because i ride a 13.3hh pony. But it'll be another weight off my shoulders when my new horse is going to grow up to 16 hh!

Nocturva 07-15-2013 08:29 AM

I'm 5'9, and actually my TB is a tad on the shorter side but I love me height, I embrace it. My trainer likes to hop on my horse and she's 5'3 and everytime she gets on she's like "your legs are so long! i can't even fit my feet in the stirrups" lol. I love it because I am able to mount from the ground with no problem while I watch everyone else hobble up to the mounting block, sure I don't always mount from the ground cause it can hurt his back, but I love it sometimes because if I need to adjust something I can frequently get on and off no problem, also its just nice having longer legs and riding bareback, to me its easier being tall.

Whisper22 07-15-2013 01:15 PM

My biggest obstacle has been finding affordable jeans that come in long. I went through this over the weekend. They were either outrageously expensive or huge in the thigh area, wth. I've always bought expensive jeans since I've started riding because I needed them to be long, but I just couldn't afford it this time. I happened to check out JCPenny's and found Arizona Jean Co. Jeans. They fit awesome, exactly what I was looking for and were on sale for $19.99. I will never buy expensive jeans again as long as Arizona jeans are around, in case you or anyone else has the same problem.

Jake and Dai 07-15-2013 01:58 PM

I'm 6' tall and really love it, always have. I don't ever really remember feeling uncomfortable with my height, other than, back in the day, I had a horrible time finding pants that were long enough.

These days, it doesn't seem as difficult as many brands come with a L option for Long.

I work in an open office and will often wear shoes with 4" heels simply because they have cooler styles in the higher heel height. I don't feel uber tall but sometimes will look across the office, see someone I KNOW is a few inches shorter than I and think "wow she's tall!" LOL

My advice to you OP is stand up straight and proud and embrace your height! It is a wonderful thing!

Cynical25 07-15-2013 03:05 PM

I'm about 5' 10", sometimes a touch less depending on the measuring tape. Not THAT tall in the grand scheme of things, but taller than most of the people I know. (Including my 5'2" significant other. My collection of 3" heels doesn't see near enough use, lol.)

Being able to easily mount a 2 or 3 year old colt those first rides, or that 16hh horse without a mounting block is definitely a plus when you've got a little height. Plus you can wrap your long legs around a bucking horses' belly for extra security, lol

Finding XL western jeans is tricky - a plain old Long is just about right when you're on the ground, but I want my jeans to still cover my ankles when I'm on a horse and that requires a 38" inseam. Finding tall enough English boots and English saddles with long enough flaps to accomodate long legs is tricky, too! Not to mention it stinks when your breeches' knee patches actually cover the mid-thigh...

In everyday life, I've resorted to making some of my own clothes so I'm not going to the office in a blouse with sleeves that don't quite reach the wrist or a shirt that isn't long enough to cover the waistband on ankle-length slacks. I found that (long enough to not show my junk) skirts & tank style blouses are fantastically easy to whip up.

Jake and Dai 07-15-2013 04:39 PM

Ahhhh...yes. Tall English boots. That was a major challenge!

When I first started taking lessons many many moons ago I tried just about every boot in the tack shop I went to. All were way way too short. So I gulped, bit the bullet and invested in a pair of custom made Vogels. Luckily they still fit after 23 years! And bonus from that shopping trip, I started chatting with a lady about how excited I was to start lessons again and she offered to give me a horse. :shock:

He was my first, a 18 yr old, 16hh, big-bodied dead calm tb named Automatic Pilot. Sigh...how I miss that horse! Sorry for digressing...:oops:

amberly 07-15-2013 04:59 PM

I'm probably the shortest one here on this thread - but I am one of the tallest in my school!!

I am taller than over half the senior class - including the guys.. haha!

But I have always found pants a problem - It is very hard to find a size 2 X 32 were I am at. Somewhere around there anyways. ;)

I am taller than all my friends and almost all the sophmores. Everyone wishes they were tall - but I have always wanted to be short with my friends, and tall with my family.
My oldest sister is the shortest in my family, then my mom, then my other sister, then dad, then my brother.
Oh, and I am taller than my mom!
Some days I am happy I am tall, while other times I wish I was super short.

So when I go to dances in my heels it seems like I am towering over everybody... good thing I don't wear heels often!