The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Completly different horse!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/completly-different-horse-23256/)

acey 02-24-2009 06:42 PM

Completly different horse!!

Hi! My new horse Ace (rising 5 warmblood) moved over to Ireland from England about a week and a half ago, ive lightly ridden him (walk and about ten seconds of trot) 3 times so far and each time hes been an absolute brat! I know it will take time for him to settle, but im a bit worried about him!!

When i got him in september when i lived in england, he was really green and hated being ridden, by christmas we were jumping little jumps, hacking out and schooling. but i feel like he has forgotten everything. so far hes been leaning on the bit, pulling down, bucking and spooking at everything (il let him away with spooking tho-new home and all!!). He wont trot without bucking.

hes only a youngster but would anyone have any tips for the bucking and leaning on the bit?? any time he does it i give him a half halt but it doesnt really work....hes wearing a fulmer bit which is quite mild and helps with his turning.

will this resolve in time?? how long will it take for him to settle?? hes my first youngster so its going to be a fun few months!!!!

thanks!! :)

Peggysue 02-24-2009 07:04 PM

how has his diet changed??

Spirithorse 02-25-2009 12:55 AM

I would give him time. Do you work him on the ground before you ride?

acey 02-25-2009 06:42 AM

he has gone from alfa a, quiet mix, oats and sugar beet to pony nuts (im not sure which ones as its a livery yard) and sugar beet...he has and has always had tonnes of hay....

he is now stabled where he wasnt before, however i let him out every day, and "encourage" him to get his bucks out in the round pen, however he doesnt go crazy.....hes not being fresh when i ride...hes just trying to annoy me i think haha!!

the leaning on the bit is the thing thats annoying me the most-he is so distracted by it that he doesnt look where hes going and runs into the boards....sigh!!!

Peggysue 02-25-2009 07:46 AM

does his saddle still fit??

what all is in pony nuts??

StormyBlues 02-25-2009 10:25 AM

How long was he in the trailer? Is his back sore from bracing in the trailer? It might be the sudden change in feed too

Dumas'_Grrrl 02-25-2009 10:36 AM

I'd take some time to let him settle in and check out what he's being fed. Some horses just don't like being stabled either.

Check for soreness from the shipping too, I'm sure that wasn't an easy ride for him.

acey 02-25-2009 05:20 PM

it was about 6 hours drive, 3 hours in the boat, then an overnight stabling, then another 3 hours drive...a long journey eh! il check for soreness again thats a good idea...!!

he seems to be happy overall to be honest, hes perky and awake, eating well, eyes and coat glowing (much more than before he moved here..already in 9 days!!)...

im going to ask my barn owner to check his saddle fit tomorrow and i am going to lunge (longe in america????) him in the arena he goes crazy in too. if i cant find my BO il take some photos for everyone here to give opinions on....i think it could be the saddle because when turned out he is chilled and also when lunging he isnt going crazy like when under saddle.....

horses are confusing!!!!!!

StormyBlues 02-25-2009 08:46 PM

Tell us how it goes!

acey 02-27-2009 06:16 PM

hi!! So i lunged Acey in the indoor arena on thursday and he went MENTAL but i worked it out of him and he settled really well and stopped spooking at silly things..so id say it was successful!!! he again was really pulling at his bit (i looped the lunge rope around from bit to bit around his poll)...i might get his teeth checked???

HOWEVER today i let him out free in the arena so he could explore it himself and in theory this was an awesome idea..........UNTIL the barn dog began CHASING ace up and down the arena..poor ace went CRAAAZY which made the dog go mad etc etc and this went on for TWENTY MINUTES!!! there was nobody around to sort out the dog so i was trying to chase the dog away while trying to ensure my mental horse didnt crash through the gate....UUUUGH, so now he has more negative associations with this arena which is going to make all this harder!!

as for training issues etc my uncle who is a trainer is coming on tues to ride him and try get him back to himself. i am a strong rider however i have just gotten completly frightened by ace's behaviour!!

im going to work on groundwork for the next few days and really show him every corner of his new barn!!!!!!!!!!!

any other suggestions for settling in??????