The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Western Riding (/western-riding/)
-   -   new to this - hat question? (

cuetstephk 02-24-2009 06:20 PM

new to this - hat question?
So I'm an English rider considering starting Western showing as well. I had a question about hats. I have a black felt hat, but it's not meant for show. Can hats like this be fitted to become show hats? It has an elastic-band type thing around the head hole, but that part can probably be taken off.
If not, does anyone know an affordable place to get hats in Colorado?

Vidaloco 02-24-2009 06:26 PM

If its a good felt hat it can be reshaped by a good hat person. I don't know of any by name but I would think any western wear store should be able to point you in the right direction for someone who can steam shape your hat. I know they can be done to a point, I think a total redo would warrant a new hat :D
Its always good to have more than one anyway :wink:

HorseShoersGirl 02-24-2009 07:27 PM

Could you post a picture of it? And as fa as like local shows or fun shows. I doubt that they would mind at all. But some time at least here in illinois they have 30 dollar hats at tractor supply and rural king.

LauraB 02-24-2009 08:14 PM

I think you would be better off getting a new hat.

This is how a felt hat should be styled for show.

cuetstephk 02-24-2009 09:57 PM

Looking at that one, I noticed mine has little holes in the sides. I can't put up a pic of it, but it looks almost exactly like this one.

Angel_Leaguer 02-25-2009 04:41 PM

That hat would get you by but i would get a nice hat if you can afford it. You need a hat that fits you well and has good shape... may sound stupid but you hat makes a big impression on your judge.

farmpony84 02-25-2009 04:43 PM

that one is perfectly fine for local shows. If you are doing breed shows or rated shows you'll want to get a different hat. But for local shows, it's fine.