The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Advice on switching disciplines? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/advice-switching-disciplines-232706/)

KansasPrincess 07-14-2013 04:11 PM

Advice on switching disciplines?

I've been riding Western since I was four years old. I'm sixteen now, and I've really been wanting to experience what English is like. I already have lessons set up with a local instructor, beginning next Tuesday, but I need some pointers.

First off, what do I wear? For Western, I can hop on in about anything. The traditional is jeans and cowgirl boots, though. Do I need to purchase paddock boots and breeches?

I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to compete. I haven't decided exactly what I want to get into, but I'm leaning towards dressage or jumping. My instructor doesn't have any jumpers though, so that would come later.

This is like a whole new world to me... But I'm excited. Any tips on how to best succeed in this new decision is much appreciated!

NaeNae87 07-14-2013 10:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KansasPrincess (Post 3055994)
I've been riding Western since I was four years old. I'm sixteen now, and I've really been wanting to experience what English is like. I already have lessons set up with a local instructor, beginning next Tuesday, but I need some pointers.

First off, what do I wear? For Western, I can hop on in about anything. The traditional is jeans and cowgirl boots, though. Do I need to purchase paddock boots and breeches?

I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to compete. I haven't decided exactly what I want to get into, but I'm leaning towards dressage or jumping. My instructor doesn't have any jumpers though, so that would come later.

This is like a whole new world to me... But I'm excited. Any tips on how to best succeed in this new decision is much appreciated!

Hey KP, welcome :)

You should ride in whatever you feel comfortable in. I have friends who ride english in jeans and cowboy/girl boots. I wouldn't personally buy new stuff until you have tried it out first... othewise if you decide to stick to western after all you will have wasted money. Personally, I ride in whatever is clean. That is normally leggings or breeches, paddock boots, gaiters (half chaps) and a polo shirt. Sort of like this, but actually on the horse. :)
Attachment 230978

If you really want to look the part, you should be able to pick up a cheap pair of paddock boots as well as jodhpurs or breeches from your local horsey shop. Don't get white or cream, those are for shows. :)

A must have is a well fitting helmet. If you don't have one already, I would definately be buying one.

It will take time and practise, like anything. Good luck!

Heelsdown 07-22-2013 12:51 AM

Cute outfit naenae!

Don't overthink it. You can start out with a couple of outfits. I started out riding at a hunter barn and some of the girls wore the polo shirts like the Joules or Equine Couture brand but many people like me just wore t-shirts. In winter I'd wear a hoodie type shirt

For pants, I personally love the kerrits riding tights. They are not too expensive and you can get them in denim which makes them feel a little more like jeans. They also make them in bootcut!
For shoes I wear paddock boots by themselves or with half chaps.

I have to warn you, english clothes become addicting so start out simple and be sure you like the discipline first before you go crazy ordering from Dover! Wait until the fall catalogue, oh gosh. I could spend a fortune, lol.

Mochachino 07-22-2013 02:30 AM

For me the pants didn't matter but I learned my lesson with rubbing when I didn't ride with half chaps, and I also had paddock boots. Good luck with your new venture. I switched from western to English about a year ago and it was a lot harder than I thought it would have been.