The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Dark Urine (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/dark-urine-23282/)

Spastic_Dove 02-24-2009 10:41 PM

Dark Urine

So Diesel very rarely pees in front of me. The other day when we got done riding though, and he did and it seemed darker than normal and smelled very strong of amonia more so than usual.

What could this be?

The vet is coming out in a week or so so I will probably have Diesel looked at/talk to him

Peggysue 02-24-2009 10:49 PM

what is his diet? Excess protien can cause dark smelly urine

Spastic_Dove 02-24-2009 10:51 PM

He gets alfalfa/grass hay (two big flakes twice a day) and a half a can of strategy grain

Peggysue 02-24-2009 10:54 PM

shouldn't be too high of protien... how much alfalfa is in the hay??

Peggysue 02-24-2009 10:54 PM

is he drinking plenty?? Dehydration will sometimes cause this problem as well

Spastic_Dove 02-24-2009 10:57 PM

I don't remember the exact percentage, but I know it is mostly grass hay. (I know, I'm a bad person).

He has free access to heated water all day, but sometimes the water freezes at night. We break it up at night and in the morning, but it freezes at some point over night..

Peggysue 02-24-2009 11:04 PM

is he drinking the water though??

I woudl put a call into the vet tell him what you have noticed and ask his thoughts.. I can keep guessing but your vet knows your horse :)

Spastic_Dove 02-24-2009 11:06 PM

Oh, yeah. He drinks just fine. Acts fine, everything. I just noticed it at the show this weekend...which perhaps he wasn't drinking enough at the show?
I will definitly talk to him when he comes out. I'm not concerned enough to bring him out specifically for it, but I will ask when he gets here

Ryle 02-25-2009 11:50 AM

It could be anything from normal urination to dehydration, muscle issues, or urinary issues. If you are concerned you need to watch to see if you notice any "off" behavior and discuss what you are seeing with your vet.

MN Tigerstripes 02-25-2009 12:12 PM

Depending on the color of the urine it could also be that he has eaten some wilted maple leaves (any type of maple) or white snakeroot can also be a problem. Seeing as its winter thats probably not the issue, more than likely its high protein content of the alfalfa part of your hay.