The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/eventing-23292/)

horscrazi 02-25-2009 03:15 AM

Eventing

OK i have this problem. This is going to make me sound really novice like but I have been riding for many years and I have only ridden western, i only know those rules and things. my question is: wat are the breed rules for showing ( dressage show jumping)
i am about to adopt a retired race horse and i own an un-papered 17 yr old arabian/quarter horse, is it a special thing to only have pure bred horses or wat and is a retired race horse ok for eventing?
yes yes i kno hard to train but i have trained mustangs...i think ill be ok.
thanks for helping and well hi! lol
:)

Miss Katie 02-25-2009 04:28 AM

Yes, many ex racers go on to be fantastic performance horses. I dont know the details on registering performance horses in America, but you dont have to have breed papers.

eventnwithwinston 02-25-2009 07:44 AM

In Eventing, there is not a specific breed you have to show on. My horse a retired race horse and he is making a great eventing horse so far.

They don't have to be purebreds, some of the best eventing horses are grade horses or mixed breeds. Take Theodore O' Connor. He was a great eventing pony who competed at the 4* level and is a mix of 3 to 4 different breeds.

Have fun,
Eventing is a blast :)

StormyBlues 02-25-2009 10:19 AM

Any horse is perfect for eventing, but they have to have one thing and one thing only: HEART! Our horses love to do what they do and want to go out there and win it. As for a purebred, the horses at out eventing stable consist of: 2 QHs, 2 TBs(one OTTB), a paint pony(mix bred), a conemara pony, 2 mix bred ponies, and a welshXpaint! You will see every size, color, breed, at an event. My friend only events of horses 17HH+! I have seen paints, appys, fresians, TBs, QHs, arabs, ponies, EVERYTHING! Just go out there and have fun, but do get a certified eventing trainer. They know what they are doing!

MIEventer 02-25-2009 11:59 AM

Any breed can do low levels of eventing. It is when you get to mid and higher levels where the breed and conformation plays a huge part in longevity of your horse and how well you do.

There are no breed requirements for Eventing - just knowledge on what level to quit at, before your horse breaks down.

StormyBlues 02-25-2009 12:25 PM

True, but sometimes breed and ight don't play any part in it all all. IE Teddy! RIP our little brave heart!

MIEventer 02-25-2009 12:27 PM

He had the right conformation, due to educated breeders. Just because Teddy O'Connor was able to do what he did, doesn't mean all mixed breeds can - doesn't mean all TB's can or all Irish Sports can.

It all depends on how well they were bred.

Heck, there are a few QH's in mid to upper level eventing - but only because they were bred correctly with the right conformation.

Eventing is a very demanding sport, and you cannot have a horse with weak to ok conformation - because they will break down.

StormyBlues 02-25-2009 12:35 PM

very true! I didn't say anything about his confo though, just that hight doesn't matter as long as the horse has heart.

horscrazi 02-25-2009 07:03 PM

:)

thanks a bunch...i was so worried that i was going to have to get a pure bred...which is expensive. i really do appreciate ur help guys!!!:-P
So i dont have to have a pure bred just one that can take the eventing...cool thats something i will have to look at when adopting...
one more question...hehe sry
wat would be a good place to adopt...just curious to if there are any out there in need of adoption...
thanks a ton really...
:-):D:-P

horscrazi 02-25-2009 07:06 PM

one more question

jeez im out of it today
um wat are the costs of eventing...is it horribly expensive or just ok...i know western isnt that expensive but im jsut curious...
any one know of a good trainer for eventing too?:wink: