The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   How Many Horses Per Acre? (Tacoma, Washington State) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/how-many-horses-per-acre-tacoma-233026/)

KaskadeHD 07-15-2013 12:51 AM

How Many Horses Per Acre? (Tacoma, Washington State)

So my neighbor has 1 acre of property. It is divided into 2 sections. Both sections are completely muddy. There are a total 4-8 horses she keeps in there. She sometimes will move 2 horses to her back yard which is 1/8 of an acre.

In washington it rains CONSTANTLY, because of this the pasture is a field of mud! This cannot be good for the horses to stand in mud and feces all day long. 2 of the horses are only about a month old.

So what i'm trying to say, is this legal? Is there a certain number of horse per acre ratio? And if you can, please link or just tell me where you found your information, because I am considering calling ASPA, the horses look miserable! :cry:

Chevaux 07-15-2013 01:20 AM

You'll need to check with your local council/municipality/county to see what they have for bylaws in place to cover these situations. I'm from Canada, mind you, but I've noticed that a number of counties/states appear to have this covered. I think a standard one is 5 (maybe even 2 depending on area) acres for the first horse and 1 acre for each subsequent horse. And you're right, in that size of area and with those conditions the horses probably are feeling miserable.

alexischristina 07-15-2013 09:12 PM

Five acres for one horse is an unrealistic expectation, I don't know any area that has that kind of requirement. I believe here the suggestion is one acre for the first horse, with a half acre per additional horse added on. I have three, soon to be four on just under three acres. A few summers ago I had five on just under three acres and they did well. Of course they were fed additional hay and the property itself is very dry, but it was enough space for them.

IMO the number of horses she has on her property isn't ideal BUT if they're fed and watered it isn't abuse. If they get along, if they get exercise, all is well and good. Mud happens and it's going to happen whether you have one, four or ten horses and so long as their feet are taken care of it shouldn't be a problem.

waresbear 07-15-2013 09:16 PM

There is a stable here that sits on 5 acres, they board about 20 to 30 horses, all on drylot pens and in the barn. If it's legal, (check with zoning bylaws, local) and the horses are being cared for, I suppose you could complain about the smell?

verona1016 07-15-2013 09:22 PM

There's no such law in Oregon, so I doubt Washington has one either. As long as they appear healthy there isn't really anything you can do.

waresbear 07-15-2013 09:25 PM

Unless it is zoned Farmland, one can complain about the smell, farmland no, residential yes!

Saddlebag 07-16-2013 09:24 PM

One thing is for sure, the horses won't grass founder - no grass.

PaintHorseMares 07-16-2013 09:30 PM

Call your county clerk and you'll get your answer.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 07-16-2013 09:31 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexischristina (Post 3068282)
Five acres for one horse is an unrealistic expectation, I don't know any area that has that kind of requirement. I believe here the suggestion is one acre for the first horse, with a half acre per additional horse added on. I have three, soon to be four on just under three acres. A few summers ago I had five on just under three acres and they did well. Of course they were fed additional hay and the property itself is very dry, but it was enough space for them.

IMO the number of horses she has on her property isn't ideal BUT if they're fed and watered it isn't abuse. If they get along, if they get exercise, all is well and good. Mud happens and it's going to happen whether you have one, four or ten horses and so long as their feet are taken care of it shouldn't be a problem.

actually in my county, we have that law. for 1 horse, you have to have 5 acres. for each additional horse, its an additional acre. we can have technically only have 6 horses and we own 10.5 acres.

im in southwest Michigan.
Posted via Mobile Device

alexischristina 07-16-2013 11:16 PM

My mistake. In my opinion it's still completely unreasonable though and in my experience it isn't the norm but again, I can't speak for any areas other than my own.