The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What a start to the year! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-start-year-23305/)

ScarlettPompey 02-25-2009 11:18 AM

What a start to the year!

Haven't posted for a while due to what can only be described as a 'when it rains it pours' start to the year.

Apologies for posting such a non-chatty thread but looking for some sympathy and some advice! (I'm posting the injury on the health threads to see if I can get some ideas).

Up to Christmas, I had two lovely horses (Lucy and Biz). Luce was taken in after a short and not very successful racing career. We've been schooling for about 18 months, in the hope we could lightly event at some point. However, she developed a bit of a talent for dressage and I decided she was best homed with a lovely lady who had the knowledge (and patience) to take her in. Obviously it was a tough decision, but I felt it right.
So it was just me and Biz over xmas. I bought Biz for jumping and have been spending the past 4 months working on getting a bond and brushing up the flat/jumping work. Anyway, I went to get him in from the paddock at the beginning of Jan. Normally he'll come up to you in the field, however he just stood in the centre with his front let held awardly. When I went up to him, I saw he had taken a huge chunk out of the back of his foreleg. It looked such a mess. Turns out he's ruptured the digital flexor tendon, and I am completely gutted. Been ice/heat treatment and bandaging ever since. I'm working closely with the vet, and though it's a bit early to say, he's not hopeful of a complete recovery due to the nature of it.
I'm obviously keeping Biz and will work to get him back to the best quality of life possible, however I am really angry about it and very upset. What's worse is that Biz is so subdued that it's heart-breaking to see him. Don't you just wish they'd speak sometimes?!

Anyway, apologies for the rant, needed to get it off my chest.

Walkamile 02-25-2009 11:39 AM

Hi Scarlettpompey, so sorry to hear about Biz. Doesn't it just take the wind out of you when they get injured! :cry: Best of luck to both of you and of course only time will tell about how "limited" he'll be.

Angel_Leaguer 02-26-2009 03:41 PM

Sorry to hear about your guy... *hugs*