The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Color? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/color-23308/)

Draven 02-25-2009 11:54 AM

Color?

1 Attachment(s)
Is she a roan?

We have no clue what she'll turn out like! When she was born she was a dark brown color and has continued to grey out ever since! Shes two years old now.

MN Tigerstripes 02-25-2009 12:06 PM

Maybe gray? Does it have a gray parent? I know that most grays are born a different color and gradually change... not sure about roans though.

Cat 02-25-2009 01:45 PM

What are her parents? Does she have an appy parent or a grey parent? Currently it looks like she could either be a grey or she could have a funky appy trait showing up. Both can look similar at cetrain points. Right now I would say she is a grey.

Appyt 02-25-2009 03:09 PM

I would like to see a close up of her head/neck. Also does she have a sparse mane/tail?

Usually roans are born roan or roan out when they shed their baby coat. Also they normally change from light when they shed to more roan in summer to much closer to their "base" coat color in winter. My bay roan does that.

So, I'm kind of shooting at the grey gene or possibly appy.

To be roan a horse much have one roan parent, to turn grey they must have one grey parent. Usually the greying begins on the face. Roans do not have roaning on the face.

upsidedown 02-25-2009 03:14 PM

Looks like a grey appy to me, and sounds like it too. Greys can be born any color and then grey out...

From what I can see it looks like she has mottled skin, so I'm definitely sticking with appy.

Draven 02-25-2009 03:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Yeah she is 1/2 appaloosa and 1/2 friesian. The lady has her registered as a roan though:?. But yeah her coat is definitely from the appy in her!

Draven 02-25-2009 03:35 PM

sorry to double post

1 Attachment(s)
Do you think she'll turn out like her mom later in life?

Her mom is full Appaloosa and sire is full Friesian

Cat 02-25-2009 04:34 PM

With the new photos - yup, most definately a grey appy going on. Now the breeder could be right and she could still be "varnish roan" this is different than the classic roan that a poster was talking about up above. Varnish roan is an appy trait and it does progress like the grey gene. But yes - looks like Appy + grey to get that look.

And yes, she could end up looking like mom.

FGRanch 02-25-2009 11:38 PM

I would say a gray appy as well. Only because she does have gray hairs in her face.

happygoose123 02-26-2009 04:22 AM

grey appy! I dont think she will end up looking just like mum, i think she will end up similar but much darker. I think this cause you can see that mum has pink skin around her eyes and on her nose but your girl has has black skin.