The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Stallions and Broodmares (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/)
-   -   Picky Stallions? (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/picky-stallions-233386/)

WSArabians 07-15-2013 03:05 PM

Picky Stallions?
 
I've never had a stallion that was particular over the mares he bred - especially when they're squatting, peeing, knickering - pretty much on their knees begging for it... And he just won't.
I have two mares right now that are like that, and he just won't have nothing to do with him. He'll get mad and pin his ears at them and if I try to hand breed, he literally will just sulk on the end of the lead rope - either stand there all dejected with his pecker sucked up so far it looks like he's a gelding, or he'll stare off in the opposite direction towards the mares that are NOT in heat.
This is the second heat cycle with these two mares that he's done it with, and I have no idea why he's so adverse to them - both mares are good breeders, stallion passive, and seriously, they just want to get laid. *I* want them to get laid. Just the stallion doesn't.
He's covered other mares previously already, so he more then knows what his big cojones are for. He's a good talker, gentle, but usually gets the job done like any male in the right mind with a begging female in front of them would do. Except with these two mares.
Has anyone dealt with this before? Any suggestions on what to do?

QtrBel 07-15-2013 03:19 PM

Find another stallion for them would be my first bit of advice. We have two that are very picky and luckily have bred what they were put with. Only once have I had one refuse and then when I put the mare back in her pasture which is next to her favored stallion he went berserk and if they'd have been together there would have been serious injuries on both the mare and stallion. This sounds gross but at an Arabian barn I used to work in they kept mare pee in the fridge from select mares and if there was any balking they painted the mares legs with that. The fresher the better. Kind of like putting mint on a baby and mint on the mares face and teats. Give him some smell he does like? Let us know what works.

xlionesss 07-15-2013 03:21 PM

Sorry WS but I'm laughing terribly hard right now. I CANNOT STOP I'M SORRY

WSArabians 07-15-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QtrBel (Post 3064274)
Find another stallion for them would be my first bit of advice. We have two that are very picky and luckily have bred what they were put with. Only once have I had one refuse and then when I put the mare back in her pasture which is next to her favored stallion he went berserk and if they'd have been together there would have been serious injuries on both the mare and stallion. This sounds gross but at an Arabian barn I used to work in they kept mare pee in the fridge from select mares and if there was any balking they painted the mares legs with that. The fresher the better. Kind of like putting mint on a baby and mint on the mares face and teats. Give him some smell he does like? Let us know what works.

Interesting.
Now I'm picturing me running around behind mares that he prefers with a container trying to collect their pee. How's THAT for a laugh, Lioness?! :shock:
It's not like I haven't been peed on before during breeding season... among other things. lol

xlionesss 07-15-2013 03:32 PM

oh my god....LOL I want a video of that!

demonwolfmoon 07-15-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WSArabians (Post 3064178)
He'll get mad and pin his ears at them and if I try to hand breed, he literally will just sulk on the end of the lead rope - either stand there all dejected with his pecker sucked up so far it looks like he's a gelding, or he'll stare off in the opposite direction towards the mares that are NOT in heat.

I lol'ed...a lot.

I think as the one poster suggested...try tricking him with smells he does like. *giggles*

QtrBel 07-15-2013 03:37 PM

I started on here about the time there was a debate here or another site on whether human HPTs worked on horses and being somewhat of a science geek I had to try it out. Two were very cooperative and peed on a schedule making collecting easy. The third I had to plan to sit and wait. Luckily you don't need much as I had to use a little pipette and soak up what I could with a paper towel. Between the two I had enough. The stallion I used for a control thought I was nuts but obliged. He would pee if you showed him a fresh pile of mare poop. The mare I used (as a control) also peed semi on a schedule. Took a couple of days but I had what I needed.

Ray MacDonald 07-15-2013 03:42 PM

Some stallions just wont breed certain mares. Period. It could be smell or the color of the mares. I know a stallion that wont breed light grey or white mares.

WSArabians 07-15-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonwolfmoon (Post 3064458)
I lol'ed...a lot.

I think as the one poster suggested...try tricking him with smells he does like. *giggles*

I'm amazed at how much he can pull it up. And he's a big boy - I mean, his nuts are HUGE (even my vet was amazed last year as to how big they were for a two year old) and then they're just...gone. Makes me wonder if he gets a stomach ache.
I wonder if I should try putting a molasses mash all over their rear ends... Hhmmm...

WSArabians 07-15-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald (Post 3064522)
Some stallions just wont breed certain mares. Period. It could be smell or the color of the mares. I know a stallion that wont breed light grey or white mares.

Maybe he doesn't like stockings? Both mares have four white feet and a blaze. One is a bright chestnut and the other is dark liver chestnut.
But then, he covered the other chestnut with a blaze and three high whites.

And the one mare I bought specifically for him so he better learn to put out whether he likes it or not.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0