The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   So confused... (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/so-confused-233482/)

Tobysthebesthorseever 07-15-2013 04:39 PM

So confused...

So, I have a BIG horse, Toby. He's 16.1, soundly built, 1250 lbs, and can hold a maximum of aprx. 240 lbs. my mom is a slightly heavier rider, and she would be able to ride Toby. She wants to get a horse to ride with me when I ride in the trails. We are also starting a ministry at our house called Bridles, Bits, and Blessings for disabled children to come ride. Toby is rather pig headed and stubborn, but likes to ride during therapy because he doesn't have to do to much work. My question is: do you think we would be better off getting a pony/smallish horse that I can ride when we go trail riding and younger children will feel more comfortable on, or a larger horse that my mom can ride and children will also be able to ride? I would love the pony, but I would also feel like I was cheating on Toby if I rode a different horse too on a regular basis. Of course, Toby would always be my heart horse, but I just want to know if this was you In this situation, what would you lean towards? I know you can't answer exactly but I'm just wondering your opinion.

Thank you!

Speed Racer 07-15-2013 04:41 PM

First, horses don't understand the concept of emotional 'cheating'. Second, if Toby's as pig headed and stubborn as you claim, he'd probably be happy to let another horse cart you around.

Tobysthebesthorseever 07-15-2013 04:44 PM

Thanks. I know that HE wouldn't get the concept of cheating, it would be just me who felt that way. :)

Well, my mom is still on the fence about buying another horse, but, I think I caught empty stall/pasture fever-horses are like potato chips- you can't have just one :lol:

tinyliny 07-15-2013 06:01 PM

make sure you have plenty of insurance if you are inviting folks over to your property to ride, on your horses, with your tack. Can bring a lot of liability with it.

I vote the smaller horse. when you go out on trails, mom can ride Toby and you can ride pony. heck , you'll probably love riding the little horse/pony.

Saskia 07-15-2013 09:31 PM

Horses don't like being kept by themselves, so if Toby is kept by himself now he'll actually be happy to have another horse around.

Be cautious about providing a service for people to ride at your house. You'd want a good insurance policy, and for that you might need some kind of qualified instructor while you conduct rides. Riding for the Disabled places are very careful about the horses they choose for their clients to ride. They are often very experienced and very quiet horses, that are tested and selected carefully. Be sure you take appropriate precautions.

Tobysthebesthorseever 07-15-2013 09:45 PM

Oh, yes, I know about the liability. We also will be having a very great instructor over and that's just what I THINK we are doing. We haven't completely figured out everything about what we are doing, but I'm pretty sure that's what we're doing. Pony's going to be coming next year probably, I talked to Mom today and she said we will probably be waiting till next summer before we think about another horse.

And Toby does have a horse with him, my cousin's horse Piper will be staying at our house too.

Thanks everyone for the help!!!

Alexandra V 07-15-2013 10:08 PM

I don't have a lot of experience or anything, but if it were me I would just look for a horse with a good personality and consider size later. In the end your mom will always have Toby that she'll be able to ride, so whether you get yourself a pony or you get another big horse your mom will still be able to ride someone.

I agree that he'll probably be happier with another horse to be friends with :) I would look for a really patient, responsive and calm horse above all else.

Tobysthebesthorseever 07-16-2013 09:54 AM

^^^
That's a great point. I was looking at horses about 15 hh or under, but I did make sure they were calm. Of course, this was all online and we didn't actually go see any of them, but, anyways-that's a really good point.

Thanks everyone!

TerraBella 07-16-2013 12:09 PM

If you're considering the horse for use as a therapy horse, I feel size should be taken in to account. If the riders require side handlers, having a tall horse can be very hard on the side handlers. We have a 16.2h draft cross therapy horse at our barn and I've had to side walk for an unbalanced rider. My arm felt like it was about to fall off by the time we finished. Now, we mostly put more independent riders on her for this reason.

Tobysthebesthorseever 07-18-2013 12:01 AM

^^^
True.

Thanks everyone so much!