The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Touchy nerve in neck/withers... causing front knees to give out...? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/touchy-nerve-neck-withers-causing-front-23360/)

Britt 02-26-2009 12:35 AM

Touchy nerve in neck/withers... causing front knees to give out...?

My gelding has a... nerve, I guess, at his withers... It's not bothering, much, but like... when pressure is put on it, his front knees give out... The saddle doesn't bother it or anything, but the... nerve... is about six to eight inches along his withers/neck so it makes jumping on him bareback a little hard, because if I accidentally pull or put pressure on that area of his neck/withers his front legs give out at the knees and it takes him a moment to regain his balance. I rode him out of the pasture the other day with my younger cousins on our other horses and I had to jump on him after I opened and closed the pasture gate... according to my cousins, he was fine, then his legs gave out and it looked like we were going to completely fall, then he regained the 'use' of his legs and stumbled back up.

He's always had this 'touchy' nerve, my friend and I found it when he was a few months old... since I don't ride him bareback often, and it doesn't bother him with a saddle, I haven't paid it much attention, but I got curious...

qtina626 02-26-2009 01:42 AM

If it is what I think you are talking about - it is called Cranial nerve 11 - There is a video about saddle fit by a vet that talks about this. Here is the video - check it out about 2:30

Hope that helps.

shorty 02-26-2009 05:05 AM

very informative video

Britt 02-26-2009 10:43 AM

I can't watch the vid! I don't have the right programs on my computer to watch anything on youtube...

MIEventer 02-26-2009 10:47 AM

I highly suggest you get a Chiro in and a Professional Saddle Fitter/Maker to asess your saddle and horses back.

Britt 02-26-2009 01:13 PM

Don't know of any around here :( ...

I'll ask the vet next time he's out, though, if he'll look at Dakota.

NorthernMama 02-26-2009 09:58 PM

Great video! Thanks for posting.

Ryle 02-27-2009 07:22 AM

You say he has always been like this... It's time to have a vet examine him specifically for this problem. While it could the related to a nerve getting hit, it could also be something else going on in that area.