The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Gaited or just too fast? o.o (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/gaited-just-too-fast-o-o-23378/)

Jump4heaven 02-26-2009 11:17 AM

Gaited or just too fast? o.o

If this horse isn't gaited, then he has issues.
I got 2 horses from the amish.. well, ponies.. 75$ for both.. They showed up at my doorstep at 8 AM without notice.. >.> But anyway, the bay 11hh pony, 2 year old, trots extremely fast, unknown breed. Could he be doing the tolt?

Cat 02-26-2009 11:56 AM

No way to know without video of the foot falls.

Ponies can trot fast. The tolt is fast, smooth & has a specific foot fall that is different than the trot.

Jump4heaven 02-26-2009 02:16 PM

Yeah, I know about the tolt, I'm just still unsure. I'd get a video, but I won't have anyone around who can ride him (He's only 11hh.) until sat./sun. And is your horse, Willie, a Haflinger? :D

LadyDreamer 02-26-2009 04:32 PM

Is he bay? He might be a Hackney. Hackneys are speed trotting demons, and I have known many Amish to have hackneys.

Jump4heaven 02-26-2009 04:38 PM

Lady, yes, he's bay. Do you know the average height for Hackneys? And also, his companion -- Well, 13hh Pinto stallion, same age, 2, came with him, so I dont know if they are the same breed or anything.. But chances are they are from different auctions.

LadyDreamer 02-26-2009 05:02 PM

About all I know about are the little show ponies (which can be seen here http://www.hackneysociety.com/index.htm. they don't all look like that). They can be up to 14.2. There is a division that calls for them to be no taller than 12.2. So yes they can be little.

I can't wait to see a picture of your ponies.

Jump4heaven 02-26-2009 06:08 PM

My computer isn't so well with pictures, so until I can get ahold of my cousin's computer, I won't have any posted. ): Thank you for your help!

Cat 02-26-2009 06:53 PM

Yup - Willie is a haffie. :) Its more likely that your guy is doing a fast trot than a tolt, but if you do get video or even several still photos I would love to see them.

Jump4heaven 02-26-2009 07:06 PM

I'm getting a video soon, :) And awesome! Do you jump him?

Siggav 02-26-2009 07:21 PM

When he does the gait what are the hoof beats like?

If he's tölting you'll hear an even but fast four beet rythim, bit like a tikka-tikka-tikka-tikka-tikka and his tail will probably get a wave in it from how he moves when doing the gait.

Trot is a two beat gait so you'll hear a clip clop type rythm.

So yeah from a rythm point of view:

Tölt: one and two and three and four and...
Trot: one two one two one two

Tölt is also a very smooth gait. Additionally while there can be 11h Icelandic horses/ponies, they small ones are pretty rare and they are usually between 12.2 to 14.2 hands with the ones around 13-14 hands most common.