The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Ewww - Stinky, Smelly Leather Girth - HELP! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/ewww-stinky-smelly-leather-girth-help-23407/)

Equina 02-26-2009 07:20 PM

Ewww - Stinky, Smelly Leather Girth - HELP!

Sorry in advance for the gruesome details!

So, sometimes when my horse lays in his stall, there is urine in his bedding. That urine then gets embedded in his belly fur! We groom, but remnants remain! So after a good workout, I end up with a stinky, sweaty, urine-y leather girth. Eww

I've cleaned the girth with saddle soap, but just having it sit next to me, I can still smell the stinkiness! Any recommendations on how to get it smelling like leather again? Could I use a harsher cleaner (maybe Bath & Body Works Foaming Antibacterial Hand Soap) followed by good leather conditioner?

HELP!

appylover31803 02-26-2009 07:33 PM

maybe try soap? I'm really not sure how it would affect the leather.

NorthernMama 02-26-2009 10:03 PM

hmmm... tanning salts and then a good cleaning and oiling?

barefoothooves 02-27-2009 12:11 AM

What about a light rinse with vinegar, then saddle soap immediately, then oil. Vinegar is slightly acidic, so test on an area first to see if it changes your leather color. Not sure if it will work,but vinegar will remove horrible mold from leather tack, and it's non-toxic and rinses clean so it won't harm your horses' skin, either.

Eolith 02-27-2009 09:19 AM

I use vinegar for killing stuff off, but I dilute it with water a little first... about 3/4 water and 1/4 vinegar. It's really at your own discretion, and do be sure to "test" it one place before doing much more.

Finally, as you and several others have said, follow it up closely with normal leather conditioner.