The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   I hate getting hurt...vent (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/i-hate-getting-hurt-vent-234298/)

huntergrl 07-16-2013 03:43 PM

I hate getting hurt...vent

Ok so I had a freak accident Sunday evening. I was finally adding some good speed to my barrel runs and getting excited to compete in my first rodeo on Saturday. My last run we got to the 3rd barrel and after making our turn he side swiped the barrel and I basically ended up punting it with my left leg. It had sand in it, because the barn owner did that to keep them from blowing around in the field. I knew it hurt real bad so I thought I was probably bruised. I looked down to find my jeans soaked in blood. So horrified, drove myself to the hospital and am now layed up with stitches. Its a 5inch laceration so deep it got to my artery but didn't hit it. Shew! It didn't cut my jeans though. Weird. So I am elevating it because it throbs badly. So called my husband to come home cuz I can't get up. By the time the weekend comes I should be able to walk around so we are going to be spectators at the rodeo :( I'm so bored just lying here and if I look at any riding videos all I want to do is ride!! I totally hate this. I think I'm def going to buy my own barrels to practice with. Thanks for listening.

smrobs 07-16-2013 03:49 PM

That sucks! Sorry you got hurt and I hope you heal up quickly.

Have you considered buying some of those shin guard things?

KigerQueen 07-16-2013 04:10 PM

That happened to mt bf's dad. He now uses shin guards as his horse LOVES to use him to hit the barrels.

JulieG 07-16-2013 04:39 PM

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal up soon.

GamingGrrl 07-16-2013 04:42 PM

Ugh. I would've freaked out so badly.

Were they metal barrels? I've only used the plasticy ones, and those hurt like crap and leave big bruises. I'm too much of a weenie to use metal ones.
Posted via Mobile Device

morganarab94 07-16-2013 04:56 PM

Ouch! Hope it heals soon.

Critter sitter 07-16-2013 05:14 PM

Ouch ... Hope you feel better soon

BarrelRacer23 07-16-2013 07:25 PM

Time for some shin guards. I'm sorry that had to of hurt. I've got alot of scars on my shins but nothing ever bad enough to go to the hospital.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 07-16-2013 09:53 PM

893 Attachment(s)
been there. only i have a permanent bruise from back in 2003, yes 2003! and a large dent in my shin from smoking a barrel.

the barrels were plastic and dark green. my skin had green paint on it, through my jeans!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

beau159 07-16-2013 11:48 PM

Ouch!!!

Heal up!
Posted via Mobile Device