The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   GPS your horse on the trail (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/gps-your-horse-trail-234338/)

Montgomery Farm 07-16-2013 03:14 PM

GPS your horse on the trail

Hello to all - I am new to the group.

I have recently been asked to re-post 3 Facebook statuses involving lost horses. Two have gone missing from pastures near our farm, one (incredibly!) bolted off at a horse show and can't be found, and two more were on a campground trail and spooked, bolted,dumped their riders, and ran off in full tack. This last case came to a tragic end when after 3 weeks of organized search parties and rewards offered a tracker was hired and they were both found not far from where they ran off. The whole thing terrifies me. I took it REALLY hard when those horses were found dead.
Of course, this all brings up the thought, "that could have been me!"
Some of us had the idea that an old cell phone could be charged and turned on when you are on the trail and attached to the horse (or in a saddle bag). If the unthinkable happened, the phone could be activated and the horses could be tracked by GPS. What do you think? Are the other devices out there that would do this?
Lisa - at Montgomery Farm

Viranh 07-16-2013 04:19 PM

You could place a spot locator in a saddle bag. They're specifically meant to aid in search and rescue for people hiking/camping/etc. All I do is place a tag with my name and phone number on my horse, but I guess that assumes someone sees her before anything bad happens. :(

usandpets 07-16-2013 04:53 PM

There are tracking devices that are used on dogs. You attach them to the dogs collar. Instead, you could attach it to the horse or saddle.

At least with our horses, they either stay in the area or return to the trailer. They go to where they know it is safe.
Posted via Mobile Device

EdmontonHorseGal 07-16-2013 09:18 PM

this may have been covered elsewhere on the forum before (i haven't searched for it), but what about microchipping your horses? i know with cats and dogs it is very commonplace to get them microchipped (our dog has one).

what about a bit larger one for horses or other livestock that allows for gps searching in conjunction with the scanning at a vet office? this way you'd have less worry about a horse with no tack or halter on not being found. i'm sure the technology is available, the only issue may be battery life in something like that though.

cpr saves 07-16-2013 09:41 PM

I like the idea of putting a tracker on the saddle. I wonder about doing so on the bridle as well. Hopefully it would help find the horse, but just in case the horse is found with no tack on, you might be able to track down the tack thief.

jamesqf 07-17-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usandpets (Post 3078786)
There are tracking devices that are used on dogs. You attach them to the dogs collar. Instead, you could attach it to the horse or saddle.

The one I have (Garmin Astro) works by a radio beacon on the dog unit (that is, the dog unit receives GPS position, and radios it to your base unit). It doesn't work too well if there are hills &c between you and the dog.

There's another recent thread about using cell phones. Should work if the phone has GPS, and you're in an area with cell phone service (not true of most places I ride).

DancingArabian 07-17-2013 07:54 AM

There's the spot locator and the Tagg locator that I know of meant for animals. I don't know anything about spot. Tagg is $100 for equipment and 3 months of service then its $8/month. The problem with Tagg is that it requires a docking station and all that. Not practical.

Obviously you don't want to leave your cell phone on your horse. I made a thread about a pay as you go phone and leaving that on the horse so you could then use an app to find the phone and thus the horse. I haven't been out to Walmart yet but there are very cheap phones that may work well for this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lopin N Paint 07-17-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 3083522)
The one I have (Garmin Astro) works by a radio beacon on the dog unit (that is, the dog unit receives GPS position, and radios it to your base unit). It doesn't work too well if there are hills &c between you and the dog.

There's another recent thread about using cell phones. Should work if the phone has GPS, and you're in an area with cell phone service (not true of most places I ride).

I use the Garmin Astro 320 with DC 40 collar on my beagles when I run them. It works good for that, and I've never lost my dogs.

Talking with Hunters that are runnin coyotes with BIG RUNNING hounds it seems everyone gets around 2 miles in fair conditions. That's here in Eastern PA where everything'a one big rolling hill. Lol. That's also with the longer 9 mile or truck antennas.

Painted Horse 07-17-2013 09:35 AM

We can prepare for things that might happen. But we will never prepare for every possibility. If you keep adding safety items to your saddle, pretty soon you have no room for lunch.

I've never lost a horse, Nobody I've every ridden with has ever lost a horse. I have had friends that had horses run off and had to be followed and retrieved. But it has never been a really serious problem.

I had a friends horse die from a ruptured aorta, I've seen a horse die from colic at competitive trail ride. So an surprise death seems more of concern than a lost horse. But we can stop everything from happening.

We use common sense, train our horses the best we can and hope all will work out. I've been fortunate, that my horses, even when loose will return to me. Now granted they have never been seriously frightened while loose. But I frequently turn them loose on the mountain to graze or go get water.

I took this photo of my loose mare as I went to collect her. You can see our campers up in the trees. She had been out grazing and was rolling as I approached her.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...intas/Maya.jpg

And my gelding out in a meadow getting a drink. Maybe I'm too trusting.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...tas/Spirit.jpg

jamesqf 07-17-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lopin N Paint (Post 3085033)
Talking with Hunters that are runnin coyotes with BIG RUNNING hounds it seems everyone gets around 2 miles in fair conditions. That's here in Eastern PA where everything'a one big rolling hill. Lol. That's also with the longer 9 mile or truck antennas.

But I'm in the Sierra Nevada, where "rolling" is not exactly the right word to use :-) And I was also just using the hand unit, as the dog & I were out hiking. As I said, you pretty much have to try whatever, and see if it works in your conditions.