The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   skinny horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/skinny-horse-234402/)

gabby0426 07-16-2013 04:19 PM

skinny horse

hello i got a gelding hes 14 and pretty skinny i have him on nutrena senior and nutrena beet pulp, i give him 1 1/2 scoops twice a day and a half a scoop of beet pulp i try to give him t&a and orchard but he will not eat it any hay i try to give him what should i do any advice??

Speed Racer 07-16-2013 04:52 PM

I've never heard of a horse who won't eat hay. What kind of pasture does he have available?

Roadyy 07-16-2013 05:26 PM

Throw some strawberries, carrots and apple slices in there with the hay and see if he will eat the hay while getting the other items. Only reason I've ever known a horse to not eat hay was because it was ate up with mildew.

gabby0426 07-16-2013 05:30 PM

i tried he has 3 acres of grass but its florida grass so i would like him to eat hay too, so i dont know if its because he rather eat the grass or what.

gabby0426 07-16-2013 05:30 PM

i have 3 acres of grass but its in fl so its not the best grass so i rather him also eat hay

mudpie 07-16-2013 05:47 PM

I think your horse may need to see a vet. There are a number of reasons why a horse could stay "skinny," and not all of them are lack of sustenance. Parasites, ulcers, vitamin deficiencies, illnesses, and dental problems are just a few possibilities that you may want to consider. Were I in your shoes, I'd talk to a veterinarian. :)

Ruling out an innate health problem, we should look at his diet.

Nutritionally speaking, I'd like to examine his diet in a more detail. How much is "a scoop?" How much hay are you feeding him? It's important to measure feed by weight, not volume. (That means saying "3 lbs" versus "one scoop.") Horses need to eat about 2% of their body weight in forage each day, so assuming your horse should way roughly 1000 lbs, he would need to eat 20 lbs of forage per day. Also, concentrates (that would be your pelleted feeds, beet pulp, etc.) should take up no more than 10% of your horse's diet.

Does he have access to salt? Salt is a staple part of every mammal's diet, and especially that of horses. Whether you choose to provide that through daily electrolytes, free choice loose salt or pressed salt blocks, or rock salt, is really your decision, but it is absolutely necessary.

What breed of horse is he? By "skinny" what do you mean? Do you have any pictures of him that you could provide? Is he up-to-date on his vaccines? What is his deworming schedule like?

We'd love to help you, but need just a wee bit more information! :) Thanks!

barrelbeginner 07-16-2013 05:52 PM

Do you have a picture of your horse? and it could be because he likes the grass more. even though you would like for him to eat the hay.. They will prefer to eat the grass before the hay.. IMO.. at least thats how it is with my horses:)

gabby0426 07-16-2013 05:55 PM

no, he dosnt have a salt block or anything and by a scoop im not sure how much it weighs but its the kind you get from the tractor supply store, hes a regestered paint and i only had him for about a week now he loves his grain but for some reason he will not eat hay i will post pics

gabby0426 07-16-2013 05:56 PM

yes, that is what i was thinking

gabby0426 07-16-2013 05:58 PM

hmm im not sure how to post pics on here any help??