The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   My stallions problem. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/my-stallions-problem-23458/)

Jump4heaven 02-27-2009 03:42 PM

My stallions problem.

Can he still breed? His one testicle hasn't dropped.. I forgot to ask my vet when he came last week.

Spastic_Dove 02-27-2009 03:51 PM

I think that both have to had dropped. I could be wrong though.

Walkamile 02-27-2009 03:52 PM

First , how old is he? If he is 2 or older, chances are he is what is called a cryptorchid. This condition is passed on father to son and if he has daughters they will pass it on to their off spring. Most , not all, horse organizations will not recognize this and reccomend gelding.

I appologize if my info and understanding is incorrect, and yes ask your vet he / she is your best source of info.

Good luck.

mls 02-27-2009 03:57 PM

He can settle mares however, it is not a desirable trait in a breeding stallion.

Spastic_Dove 02-27-2009 04:00 PM

Can't your vet go in there and descend the second one?

banjiny16 02-27-2009 05:51 PM

They can still breed, however, like was said before its a trait that is passed on and its VERY undesirable and he wont be recognized by the majority of breed organizations because of it.

county 02-27-2009 06:18 PM

They can breed but most people don't care for them. I've never known one to pass it on any more then any other horse if a stud sires enough foals odds are good hes going to have one now and then.

alldun 03-02-2009 12:31 PM

It is a genetic defect if it hasn't descended fully by the time he turns 3.
While it appears that it doesn't show up in offpsring it is a female linked gene in that it is passed on through the mares.

FGRanch 03-02-2009 08:48 PM

It is a genetic defect and surgery is needed to correct this in MOST cases. It's pretty unethical in my opinion to breed a horse with this problem. Do you want all the buyers of your colts to have to get surgery on their colts? You wouldn't be a very well respected breeder if that were the case.

alldun 03-02-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FehrGroundRanch (Post 262892)
It is a genetic defect and surgery is needed to correct this in MOST cases. It's pretty unethical in my opinion to breed a horse with this problem. Do you want all the buyers of your colts to have to get surgery on their colts? You wouldn't be a very well respected breeder if that were the case.

As I said it is a female gene and therefore is not passed on to the colts most of the time. I inadvertently bred to a crypt years ago and that colt was fine-even though he was outstanding he was gelded.