The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   In your experiences..... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/your-experiences-23459/)

CloudyBoy 02-27-2009 02:56 PM

In your experiences.....

I was just wondering if anyone else has found a lot of people at rodeos and shows to be rude and not very friendly? I've had this experience quite a bit with horse people in general but everyone on here seems so friendly. I don't really know many people who are at the events but they don't even smile or say hello to each other. They seem to just come, do their thing, and leave, talking to people only from their trailer. I just find it odd because it's the same people seeing each other every weekend so why wouldn't they be friendly. It's not like it effects thier performance in the ring.

Spastic_Dove 02-27-2009 03:03 PM

When I was doing local shows (barrels), we were all super friendly and hung out with eachother outside of the shows. When I started running barrels for a check, (when I moved from NJ to MT) things seemed a lot less friendly. A few people would talk to me, but not like what I was used to.
Now at the shows (not barrels) that I have gone to, people area all very friendly again.

I know when I barrel race, I don't really talk to anyone when I am about to go in the ring. I run though the pattern mentally and just kinda get in the "zone". Once I'm done my run I like to think I am social.

Dunno why that is

PoptartShop 02-27-2009 05:00 PM

Ah, I ride English & yes, like most shows (any discipline really)- there's always that one snobby crowd. Or rude in general. I just tend to ignore them. They can be really annoying, though. At my more recent shows people have been nicer, but you know, there's always that one person who is snobby!

smrobs 02-27-2009 06:52 PM

When we were still showing, we ran into people like that all the time. They had the most expensive trainers, horses, saddles, trailers, and trucks. Automatically in their mind, that made them better than anyone else even when their horse placed way down in the class. "Well, they just had a bad day. On any other day, he would have won." What is really bad is that they would place down consistently and still had the audacity to be snobby. I used to just look at them and then laugh at their "participant" ribbons. I would do like poptart and just ignore them.

StormyBlues 02-27-2009 07:53 PM

At hunter shows, YES! OMG! I am SO over the hunter crowd here! They set up practically a living room outside of their trailers, flat screen tvs, couches, plants, rugs, and ALL of their ribbons that their push button pony won them. They think they are SOOOOOoo better than everyone! haha rant over! At eventing shows, we are like a family, everyone knows everyone, and you don't try to beat eachother, you try to beat the course.(I think David OConner said that...) It's great!

Spyder 02-27-2009 09:01 PM

The higher up you go in any competitive sport the witchier it seems to get.:-(

Spastic_Dove 02-27-2009 09:08 PM

Simple, True way to put it Spyder

~*~anebel~*~ 02-27-2009 10:14 PM

I find that around my area, and the more people I get to know, the friendlier people get. Then again I live by the mantra "kill them with kindness" :P
When I first got into dressage, everyone was very elitist and you didn't talk to certain people. Now there are only a few trainers like that in my area.
Get involved in the community or an organization and start making friends. People are a lot nicer to you if you are on a committee or have a bit of a "name" on the scene.

xilikeggs0 02-27-2009 11:36 PM

A few weeks ago, I went to a horse show at the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo with my Percheron mare, Lacy. Naturally we were the center of attention among all of the quarter horses and appaloosas. At first people just kind of stared at us like "She is not really going to get on that horse... Is she? OMG, she is!"

Anyways, I had to climb on a railing thingy to mount her, and of course while I was in the warmup ring I dropped my glove somehow. I was waiting for my boyfriend to come back and tell me what class they were on, and I was going to ask him to pick it up for me, because there was no way I was going to get off and back on my crazy horse who was certain that the llamas 30 feet away wanted to eat her.

This little girl came up to the entrance, so I backed my horse up so she could come in, thinking she wanted to ride in there. She got off her horse, got my glove, handed it to me, then got back on her horse. It was the cutest thing ever, and it totally made my day. I don't even know where she came from or how she saw me drop it. There wasn't anyone near me that I could have asked to get it, but somehow she saw me drop my glove from wherever she was and came and got it for me.

Oh, and after the class, which we took 5th in (which is a miracle in itself, it took me a half a lap around the ring to get her to walk after they asked us to go from a trot to a walk), everybody and their brother came up and said how beautiful she is and how well we did and wanted to know everything about her.

~*~anebel~*~ 02-28-2009 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xilikeggs0 (Post 261222)
A few weeks ago, I went to a horse show at the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo with my Percheron mare, Lacy. Naturally we were the center of attention among all of the quarter horses and appaloosas. At first people just kind of stared at us like "She is not really going to get on that horse... Is she? OMG, she is!"

Anyways, I had to climb on a railing thingy to mount her, and of course while I was in the warmup ring I dropped my glove somehow. I was waiting for my boyfriend to come back and tell me what class they were on, and I was going to ask him to pick it up for me, because there was no way I was going to get off and back on my crazy horse who was certain that the llamas 30 feet away wanted to eat her.

This little girl came up to the entrance, so I backed my horse up so she could come in, thinking she wanted to ride in there. She got off her horse, got my glove, handed it to me, then got back on her horse. It was the cutest thing ever, and it totally made my day. I don't even know where she came from or how she saw me drop it. There wasn't anyone near me that I could have asked to get it, but somehow she saw me drop my glove from wherever she was and came and got it for me.

Oh, and after the class, which we took 5th in (which is a miracle in itself, it took me a half a lap around the ring to get her to walk after they asked us to go from a trot to a walk), everybody and their brother came up and said how beautiful she is and how well we did and wanted to know everything about her.

That's such a cute story!! I know a girl who shows a mule in jumpers and like no one talks to her, and then she shows up with her horse and everyone talks to her.. it's so weird.. probably because the mule scares all the horses!
That's awesome that you and your horse did so well though!!