The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Curious... (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/curious-234634/)

Raven13 07-16-2013 08:34 PM

Curious...

2 Questions. The short one, do minis ever get shoes? (not sneakers lol regular horse shoes)

How do you train a mini to be ridden? I can only imagine by working on the ground with voice commands and long reins. But how do you get them used to the leg and seat aids...or weight for that matter? I wouldn't want to risk a kid being hurt by making them the first weight the mini feels on its back. I've thought maybe some sort of rigging of makeshift "saddle bags" made into pretend "legs" laid over the saddle and on each side of the horse. Like two small sand tubes tied together with rope or something. Or is it something more simple, like throwing the kid on, leading the mini around and hoping for the best? I tend to over think things lol

CLaPorte432 07-16-2013 08:42 PM

yes, there are minis that get shoes. they are probably custom made by the farrier. most have hardy feet so shoes on a mini is probably due to corrective shoeing.

and mini's should not be ridden. even by children. they are not designed for riding and it causes health problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

FeatheredFeet 07-17-2013 11:19 AM

It is extremely unwise, to allow children to ride Minis. Some do put very small toddlers on them, but why? They cannot actualy train them. Some very tall Minis can carry up to 70 lbs and that does include a saddle. However, children grow quickly and very soon, need a taller and more substantial pony.

The problem as I see it, is that some parents do train Minis to the saddle and carry a small child. However, as the child grows and becomes more comfortable on a horse, the parents often do not stop the riding and then we see large kids and even teenagers, abusing these little animals by making them carry way too much weight.

There is so much you can do with Minis and that doesn't include riding.

Put your Mini to the cart and all the family can enjoy him.

Lizzie

Raven13 07-17-2013 01:19 PM

Thanks. I don't have a mini I was just curious as to how its done, because like you said, kids can't train them and adults are too big to get on them, so how is it done? It didn't make sense to me. Albiet the minis that are usually being "ridden" are just being lead by someone but, in the rare cases of a child actually riding a mini by themselves (saddle, bridle and all) how do they get to that point?

Such as these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mlSvL18hKQ (not great riding by any means but still riding)

http://www.skyhawkefarm.com/web_images/pict0171.jpg

http://www.personal.psu.edu/wbs14/bl...ig%20horse.jpg

I agree it is definitely not smart to be riding a mini as a teenager...despite how many people we see riding them when they are clearly too large (the boy in the video even appears a little large for that mini to me.

But I also see so many parents putting their babies and very small children on full size horses which doesn't seem so safe to me either. It seems like it may be a safer solution to train a mini for the small children of those that MUST put their child on a horse as soon as possible.

smrobs 07-17-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven13 (Post 3087577)
But I also see so many parents putting their babies and very small children on full size horses which doesn't seem so safe to me either. It seems like it may be a safer solution to train a mini for the small children of those that MUST put their child on a horse as soon as possible.

Actually, having been one of those kids who rode both a mini-burro and full sized horses from the time I was very small, it's actually safer to have a full sized horse for children IMHO. That way, the horse is large enough to have had good and proper training by a knowledgeable adult and is large enough that an adult can get on them occasionally for a tune-up if needed. Plus, you don't have to worry about the child outgrowing them in only a year or two.

Just as a for-instance. When I was a toddler (2-3 years old), we had a miniature burro that I was riding. Because he was too small for anyone other than me to ride, the whole riding experience was new to both him and me. He gave me my very first experience with being bucked off and getting road rash.

Then, when I was 4, I moved up to a 16 hand, 1500 pound roping horse...and I never ended up with so much as a scratch from that guy, even though I rode him for years and years at all speeds over some very rough terrain.

IMHO, until a child is capable of controlling the horse for themselves (stopping, turning, and getting controlled forward motion), then the child has no business being on a horse of any size by themselves. They should either remain on the lead-line or riding in front/behind an adult or older rider.

I honestly think that my experience (other than the episode with Olen, the burro) was just about as ideal as a person could hope for as far as learning to ride. Whenever I was an infant-toddler, my Dad would sit me in the saddle in front of him when he was warming up his show horses
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...s/Untitled.jpg

As I got older and wanted to start riding the horses for myself, either he or my older brother would simply give me the reins and sit passively behind me like this (this is me and my, then, 3 year old niece)
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...e/DSCN1771.jpg

As I got a little older and gained proficiency with my cues so that I was controlling the horse all by myself, that's when I "graduated" to my own mount by myself...Olen
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...res/img002.jpg

Other than being basically unbroken, he was a decent little critter. We went a jillion miles together and he taught me a lot, but not much of my time on him was relaxing and I picked up some bad habits from having to deal with him. Riding him was work and we had a lot of issues, some of which I didn't manage to overcome in my riding until I got on a more suitable mount...which happened to be Old Buck
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...P/EPSON025.jpg

Anyway, sorry for the whole tangent, but that's why I think average sized horses are better for children than minis or ponies, simply because of the training they can get. It is very hard to find a knowledgeable person small enough to put any decent kind of training on horses that are child-sized.

FeatheredFeet 07-17-2013 02:07 PM

That first video, shows a kid who shouldn't even be on a horse and/or has not been trained properly. Very sad but unfortunately, not unusual. We see this far too often. Poor little horse.

Lizzie

My2Geldings 07-19-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven13 (Post 3081314)
2 Questions. The short one, do minis ever get shoes? (not sneakers lol regular horse shoes)

How do you train a mini to be ridden? I can only imagine by working on the ground with voice commands and long reins. But how do you get them used to the leg and seat aids...or weight for that matter? I wouldn't want to risk a kid being hurt by making them the first weight the mini feels on its back. I've thought maybe some sort of rigging of makeshift "saddle bags" made into pretend "legs" laid over the saddle and on each side of the horse. Like two small sand tubes tied together with rope or something. Or is it something more simple, like throwing the kid on, leading the mini around and hoping for the best? I tend to over think things lol

Miniatures can get shoes, but you will have to find a farrier who is trained and willing to do it.

You train a miniature to be ridden, the same way you would teach a horse to be ridden. Who is going to be riding the miniature? Im hoping you dont have you in mind?

Raven13 07-20-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2Geldings (Post 3108074)
Miniatures can get shoes, but you will have to find a farrier who is trained and willing to do it.

You train a miniature to be ridden, the same way you would teach a horse to be ridden. Who is going to be riding the miniature? I'm hoping you don't have you in mind?

No, If you refer to my second post you'll see I don't even have a mini. I'm just asking out of curiosity as I know there are people that have them for small children to ride on their own as opposed to just leading them and I was wondering how the got them to that stage.

I know better that to ride a mini at 22yrs old and 120lbs.

My2Geldings 07-20-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven13 (Post 3115178)
No, If you refer to my second post you'll see I don't even have a mini. I'm just asking out of curiosity as I know there are people that have them for small children to ride on their own as opposed to just leading them and I was wondering how the got them to that stage.

I know better that to ride a mini at 22yrs old and 120lbs.

No need to get uptight with my response. I don't know you and it would not be the first time that someone on the forum would actually do something like this.

You should consider being a little more pleasant if you want to get some responses.

Raven13 07-20-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2Geldings (Post 3115578)
No need to get uptight with my response. I don't know you and it would not be the first time that someone on the forum would actually do something like this.

You should consider being a little more pleasant if you want to get some responses.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be up tight about it. It's just that I had already said it so I was letting you know that.

I don't feel as though I was, or am, being rude or unpleasant...just stating facts. Not to mention it's pretty hard to tell what someone's mood or tone of voice is when they're typing.