The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trainers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/)
-   -   2014 Road to the Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/2014-road-horse-234897/)

EquineObsessed 07-17-2013 09:46 AM

2014 Road to the Horse

Jonathan Field
Dan Steers
Antoine Cloux
There is also a wild card contestant, is that new?
I don't know any of these guys. Opinions? I don't personally watch RTTH but it's always interesting to look at some of the philosophies. Amusing, if not helpful:D

palogal 07-17-2013 12:12 PM

I don't know any of them either. I follow RTTH even though I don't particularly agree with the principle behind it. It's interesting, no doubt.

Chevaux 07-17-2013 12:56 PM

I know a little of Jonathan Field (being as we are both Canadian). He started out English (jumping I think) then went western. He seems to be a caring and understanding trainer and instructor; uses natural horsemanship type techniques; gives clinics; writes a few articles for magazines; has the obligatory dvds that most trainers market these days.

palogal 07-17-2013 01:32 PM

I would love to see Buck Branaman doing RTTH...but I doubt he would.

EquineObsessed 07-17-2013 05:44 PM

I don't necessarily agree with it either, but it is interesting!

6gun Kid 07-19-2013 04:32 AM

It ought to be interesting cuz Tootie Blands favorite trainer isn't there so might actually be a level playing field. I don't follow RTTH, to me it represents everything wrong with our Verucka Salt "I want it now Daddy" American zeitgeist.

HowClever 07-19-2013 05:04 AM

Dan Steers is great. He is the partner in Double Dan Horsemanship with Dan James who participated in both the 2012 teams RTTH (winning alongside Guy McLean for Australia) and last years RTTH.

Saskia 07-19-2013 07:45 AM

I think it's an "international" one this year, so that's probably why you don't know them all!

I think it will be really interesting, especially with the wild card, and even though Cloux seems natural horsemanship style, he might offer a new perspective to training, living in a probably more traditional horsey place :)

I can see why people have a problem with the competition and no one recommends that "fast starting", but it can be real interesting comparing methods side by side. Might be a bit hard on the horse, but no harder than many other disciplines can be. It's a one off competition between some of the most regarded horse trainers in the world, I just hope people don't watch it and think they should do it at home!

EquineObsessed 07-19-2013 08:09 AM

That's the biggest problem I have with it- people thinking they can do it too so they go buy a little 3 yo and kill themselves because "it worked for Clinton Anderson!!!"

Chevaux 07-19-2013 11:47 AM

I wonder what happens with the horse participants after the competition is over? Does anyone know instances of them going back to their owners as is or do they get a chance at a formal education?