The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   My New yr old Morgan Rescue (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-new-yr-old-morgan-rescue-23521/)

Painteddreamfarm 02-28-2009 05:19 PM

My New yr old Morgan Rescue

8 Attachment(s)
This is morgan a 1 yr old palomino filly. She is very sweet but has had a rough life. She was said to be beaten but so far hasnt shown any signs of this. One thing that makes me nervous about her is her butt... I attached a photo.. her butt hole never closes??? As least when I was looking at it.. it never did.. any ideas? But i attached photos of that and also of her when she came off the trailer then after a good brushing.. ( deffinitly was in dire need of one )

Spastic_Dove 02-28-2009 08:11 PM

That's really bizzare. Did you already/are you planning to have a vet look at her? I would as soon as you could because I would be worried about fecal matter getting into her vagina.

Nice work on that tail! Must have taken you awhile.
Good job on the rescue. :)

zanyoutthere 02-28-2009 08:19 PM

She will make a wonderful gorgeous horse, keep things and pics updated on her health and growth:)

Jenna 03-01-2009 04:54 AM

Oh she's going to be lovely. I have a pally yearling too (though not a morgan, and who's had a much better start in life than yours, by the looks of things!)

Can't help with your other 'problem, but good luck with her.

xpyrrohs 03-02-2009 10:32 PM

I'd get a vet to look at her ASAP.
She probably needs all of her vaccinations and her coggins, especially if you put her with other horses.
She looks like she's going to be gorgeous once she gets A LOT of weight on her!
Good job and good luck!
keep us posted with her progress!

Painteddreamfarm 03-03-2009 07:55 AM

Her butt problem went away :-)

bilyeuamber 03-08-2009 12:03 AM

The only thing I caution with rescue horses (speaking from experience!) is food intake. Thin horses dont handle large amounts of food well when they are as emaciated as this little girl is. Im sure you will have her up to health in no time. I would highly suggest not de-worming her until she gets about another 100 pounds put on because thin horses cant handle the de-wormer because of the lack of fat in their bodies. Some thin horses are killed when people de-worm them so even though I know you probably want to, I wouldnt do it until she gets some weight put on.