The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Way to NOT overheat while riding. (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/way-not-overheat-while-riding-236018/)

rexing93 07-18-2013 06:41 PM

Way to NOT overheat while riding.

Today I had my eighth lesson which ended up being cut about ten to fifteen minutes short (it's a thirty minute lesson) because I overheated. Which today, I'm sure would have been rough almost everyone as it was extremely sunny and 98+ degrees out (I believe that'd be 36*C+ for all you other chaps out there).
Well, I don't want this to be an every lesson occurrence (I started getting overheated at the VERY end of my lesson before that as well--which it was high 80's then). So I'm now looking for ways to keep hydrated and to not overheat.
Now I will note: I drink a lot of soda (which will be changing regardless) and the past couple lessons I hadn't drank a lot of water prior to riding.
And then with this lesson, I drank about 3/4s of a large gatorade (which ended up making me sick anyways -.-).

So does anyone know any ways to keep hydrated/from overheating especially on particularly hot days?

I don't know if this would help my situation at all but I'm very tall and skinny (more like scrawny) so I get quite hot and sweaty before I'm even in the arena--and with riding we work a lot with trotting, two-point, cantering, and small jumps. :3

Thank you for any advice!

PaintHorseMares 07-18-2013 06:54 PM

The best way to keep your body temp down is to wrap a wet towel around your neck. You'll get a bit wet, but it will make a big difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 07-18-2013 06:56 PM

https://www.coolmedics.com/products....E2%80%93-1340U

https://www.coolmedics.com/products....e-vest--1175T#

I wear these on hot/humid days. Also, no soda! That stuff's no good for you anyhow but especially on really hot days it's terrible. Lots of coconut water, water and iced tea will help to keep you hydrated.

I buy these at Walmart: Naked Juice :: Our Products

Sahara 07-18-2013 06:59 PM

Definitely cut out the soda and replace with water on riding days. A wet bandana around the neck is a great idea, too. Do you ride with gloves? Try riding without them and keep an icepack in a cooler near the arena. Take a break every ten minutes and hold the ice pack. The palm of your hands are full of tiny capillaries and holding that ice pack will cool down the passing blood as it courses through your body. A study was done on athletes (football players, I think) and hold a cold pack was an effective way to keep the body from overheating.

Skyseternalangel 07-18-2013 06:59 PM

Drink later before and then have a water bottle after.

Make sure your clothes are breathable.. lighter fabrics and colors are better. No shirts that cling to you.

Endiku 07-18-2013 07:02 PM

yes, don't drink soda on riding days! I live in Texas and ride in 90-100 degree weather with high humidity regularly so I consider myself to be almost an expert. LOL

Make yourself drink at least 24 oz of water during the day before your lesson, then take a drinking break every 10 minutes or so while riding. DO NOT GULP IT, that is likely why you got sick from your Gatorade. If I drink too fast I feel nauseated, get diahhrea, or throw up but if I drink slowly I feel just fine. Drink another 16 oz after your ride, within a few hours. Make sure you're taking in the right amount of salt during really hot days as well. Many people forget about this part but I overheat and feel awful very easily if I'm not taking enough salt in during the summer to replace what I sweat out. I stand/walk and teach lessons with no shade for 2 hours every day in the summer, and just doing that I drink 3-4 bottles of water just standing out there!

Warm water, if you can tolerate it, sits better in your stomach while riding than cold water does. And wear light, breathable clothing! Tank tops sound nice but at Sky said, they cling. Clingy = no breathability and more sweat. A nice, ventilated helmet helps a lot as well.

Joe4d 07-18-2013 07:08 PM

there is no magic, drinkwater, and way more than 24 oz before , need to be hydrating all the time. your pee will let you know , if it isnt nearly clear you arnt drinking enough,

DuckDodgers 07-18-2013 07:10 PM

I don't know about your regular exercise habits, so pardon me if you're an otherwise active person or are taking multiple lessons per week! If riding once a week during lessons is your only form of outdoor exercise then you can expect to have continued trouble in such high heat and humidity. You can definitely prevent issues by drinking lots of water and dabbing yourself with a cool damp towel, but working up to riding for half an hour at a time will be your biggest benefit. Try walking or jogging a few times per week in the heat in addition to your lesson so that your body can adjust and get used to things. You can't expect your body to get used to the heat when you're only in it occasionally.

Now as far as managing the heat during your lesson, make sure that you take plenty of walk breaks and don't push yourself if you are feeling bad! Drink lots of water before your lesson, and keep a bottle of water next to the arena so that you can grab some during your breaks. If possible try to have your lesson in the morning or evening hours when it is cooler. Also, make sure that you have had something to eat before your lesson. You'll feel worse if you are hungry as well!

Iseul 07-18-2013 07:18 PM

I'm going to sub this as I flag and stand in the sun on blacktop daily for anywhere from 5-15hrs/day.

I overheated once in the past 4 months by drinking too much water (5 bottles in 3.5hrs).

I also heard that gatorade isn't for everyone. One of my friends can't even sip on it because it twists his stomach up and he gets sick (I would assume too much sugar).

I did notice though that I was inadvertently eating more salt than I normally do and I've been feeling a lot better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Endiku 07-18-2013 07:30 PM

Joe is right, 24 ounces is absolute MINIMUM. The more you drink the better, its almost impossible to drink TOO much water, if not impossible.

I was just assuming OP was like most teenagers...not likely to drink water at ALL if there are other options, so I went with a low goal of 24 oz xD