The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Good or Bad Conformation for 16 yr old Gelding??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/good-bad-conformation-16-yr-old-236074/)

kimijo 07-18-2013 07:35 PM

Good or Bad Conformation for 16 yr old Gelding???

3 Attachment(s)
Hello y'all, I have a 16yr old Paint gelding. How is his conformation in your opinion? Thanks everyone! :)

churumbeque 07-18-2013 07:42 PM

If you get him filled out some he would look much better. He looks like he could use more protein. His legs look nice and I think getting a proper topline would do him wonders

kimijo 07-18-2013 07:58 PM

What do you recommend for more protein and also what did you mean "I think getting a proper topline would do him wonders"?? Thanks!

churumbeque 07-18-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimijo (Post 3100618)
What do you recommend for more protein and also what did you mean "I think getting a proper topline would do him wonders"?? Thanks!

Maybe better quality hay or a higher protein grain/pellet feed. His withers stick up quite high and his spine (topline) back to his rump could use some filling out. He may just need more feed and not different feed.

You will get all different advice on what to feed him. I would suggest consulting a purina or nutrina rep in your area. They will come out for free and talk to you about the condition of your horse and make some suggestions. You can also have your hay analysed by them or an extension office to see if it is lacking nutrients.

Skyseternalangel 07-18-2013 08:42 PM

Can you take closer shots of his back? He could just have a sway back, or he could have an undeveloped topline. The blinding white is hard to really tell

Sahara 07-18-2013 08:56 PM

I don't see a sway back so much as a shark-fin whither. He also has a really high tail-set. That's about all I can say about him from these photos.

kimijo 07-18-2013 09:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are 2 more pics but they aren't the best!

stevenson 07-18-2013 10:00 PM

he looks to be a tad sway backed. His shoulder looks like it has a nice angle, his legs look clean , not splinted or spavined. His tail set is high. He has an ewe neck. He looks like a cute and sweet fun horse. I would just add some more hay to put a little more weight on him.

kimijo 07-18-2013 10:21 PM

How do you think he would do on Stable mix? He is being fed grass and alfalfa and supplemented 3 or 4 lbs of LMC Showtime. He is not at my place yet and this is what the owner is currently feeding him. What do you recommend?

kimijo 07-18-2013 10:23 PM

I will only be using him for mostly trails, and just everyday riding for fun.