The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Colostrum (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/colostrum-23626/)

Brumby 03-02-2009 10:13 AM

Colostrum

My horse foaled! This is my first time and I need some help. The foal is nursing, but I think (might just be me being over cautious :D) it is having trouble. I have some powdered colostrum on hand and I was wondering if it would hurt anything to give it to him? I don't see any reason that it would just thought I would ask.

alldun 03-02-2009 12:51 PM

I don't think it would hurt at all

mls 03-02-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alldun (Post 262587)
I don't think it would hurt at all

Actually it could do a lot of hurt. If the foal is getting the nutrition it needs from the mare and you add the hand feeding, it could be too rich and cause scours/diarreha as the body is trying to clean out the excess minerals, etc it does not need. Also if the foal is being hand fed, it may stop nursing and the mare will stop her production of milk.

Diarreha in a new foal can result in deyhydration very quickly and death.

If you are unsure if the foal is getting enough nutrients from the mare, please have a vet experienced with neonatal issues examine the foal. There are blood tests that will specifically give you the foals status.

Angel_Leaguer 03-03-2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 262596)
Actually it could do a lot of hurt. If the foal is getting the nutrition it needs from the mare and you add the hand feeding, it could be too rich and cause scours/diarreha as the body is trying to clean out the excess minerals, etc it does not need. Also if the foal is being hand fed, it may stop nursing and the mare will stop her production of milk.

Diarreha in a new foal can result in deyhydration very quickly and death.

If you are unsure if the foal is getting enough nutrients from the mare, please have a vet experienced with neonatal issues examine the foal. There are blood tests that will specifically give you the foals status.

very much agree...

what makes you think the foal is have troubles? Sometimes when they are first born they are a bit slow with the nursing but it will pick up quick. if it is having troubles finding where to go feel free to help guide it (as long as the mare allows you to) otherwise a call to a vet wouldnt hurt things

Brumby 03-03-2009 10:07 AM

Thank-you for the help. It must of been me just being over cautious :D. The foal is nursing fine, and it seems to be getting stronger. The mare acts like it hurts though when the foal nurses. I have heard that maybe she is too full and it hurts a little. She doesn't stop the foal from nursing just makes a "ouch" noise.

mls 03-03-2009 10:53 AM

She is very likely tender. Since you are male, you don't have the personal experience to know what it feels like!

Foals need to 'bump' to encourage the mare to let down her milk. Some foals are a bit zealous and yes it is very uncomfortable!

Primary checks - is the foal nursing? Have you noticed the foal pass both manure and urine? Has the mare passed the placenta?

Brumby 03-03-2009 11:25 AM

I haven't noticed the foal go the bathroom. But them of course I am not watching him 24/7. Yes he is nursing and the mare has passed the placenta.

mls 03-03-2009 03:46 PM

With colts it is especially important to watch for correct urination. In the process of birth, there can be a slight tear in the bladder and the urine will dribble out the umbilicus or remain in the abdomen. They can appear fine for a day or two but will become ill. The sooner the issue is caught, the easier to repair.

Brumby 03-03-2009 05:13 PM

Today I saw him use the little boys room. So he is going. Thank-you very much for the help. I really appreciate it. Maybe sometime I can post a picture up here.

mare 03-09-2009 07:25 PM

Wheres the pictures of the little one? Congrats!