The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Infection behind the eye? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/infection-behind-eye-236290/)

Blazeeofglory 07-18-2013 11:16 PM

Infection behind the eye?

This lady I know runs an assisted living home (shes a family friend) and doesn't really have time to spend a lot of time with her horse.. So I normally go and excercise him
And just spend some time with him. (16 y.o bay Q.H gelding)

Laat week I went over and noticed his eye seemed a bit irritated, So i told her that she may want to get the vet out to take a look. She didnt, and I go out there yesterday and notice a large fluid filled pocket on the bone above his eye, with thick yellow liquid coming out of his eye. I told her she MUST get the vet out and she said she will ASAP, i am going to make sure she did tomorrow and if not, i will.

Does anybody know what exactly this is and what causes it?

Ray MacDonald 07-18-2013 11:40 PM

Could just be that he got a hair or dirt in his eye and didn't get rinsed out with tears, started an infection.

Skyseternalangel 07-18-2013 11:43 PM

I'm guessing the same as the poster above me.

Had a mini with the same symptoms.

Does this horse by chance wear a flymask?

Chevaux 07-18-2013 11:55 PM

I'm guessing an infection of some sort as well. The source could be external (something in his eyes) or for internal, perhaps something going on with the sinus cavities.

Blazeeofglory 07-19-2013 08:27 AM

He doesnt wear a fly mask because it rubs creating sores... Any solution for this?
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 07-19-2013 08:30 AM

I believe the vet will start with flushing the tear ducts. And possibly antibiotics if they feel it's a bad infection.

Blazeeofglory 07-19-2013 08:34 AM

This sounds like its pretty common?
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 07-19-2013 08:35 AM

I personally have never seen a horse need it but my vet has told me that it is pretty common. Usually during summer since it is fly and allergy season they are more prone to get stuff stuck in the tear ducts.

Blazeeofglory 07-19-2013 08:36 AM

It makes sense. I live in florida and with all of the rain, bugs are pretty bad out.

Thanks everyone!
Posted via Mobile Device

Blazeeofglory 07-19-2013 06:31 PM

Vet says it looks like he hit his head and all she did was give him bute. I dont think thats the case... Very large fluid filled pocket , eyes are swollen, and leaking yellow fluid.

Unbelievable.
Posted via Mobile Device