The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Stall fans (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/stall-fans-236466/)

Cynical25 07-19-2013 10:13 AM

Stall fans

Any recommendations for brands of fans for horse stalls? I want heavier duty than your typical $20 plastic box fan but I don't know where to look. I'm assuming I'll be attaching to the stall bars with zip ties.

TurkishVan 07-19-2013 12:07 PM

My barn uses box fans, but you can guarantee that they all quit after one summer season or so. They are secured by short bungee cords, which makes it easier to move.

SEAmom 07-19-2013 01:59 PM

I've got just a basic box fan that had been used for 5ish years for hot weather. Hooked up with a couple of bungee cords.

There are a couple of people who put their fans on top pointing down. That's just silly, though. Hot air rises, so they're pushing the hottest air down on their horses. Knowing basics of physics is good sometimes.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 07-19-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEAmom (Post 3107402)
There are a couple of people who put their fans on top pointing down. That's just silly, though. Hot air rises, so they're pushing the hottest air down on their horses. Knowing basics of physics is good sometimes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly. I see this all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaydee 07-19-2013 03:19 PM

We're in the process of changing our freebie free standing fans that do a good job but take up too much floor space with rotating ceiling fans from Northern Tool online - we got one to try and its doing a good job so we've ordered more.

My2Geldings 07-19-2013 03:32 PM

Here is what I found: Circulation Fans, Barn Fans, Stable Fans, Horse Arena Fans, Equine Arena Cooling, Stall Fan - FarmTek

Cynical25 07-19-2013 05:57 PM

Thanks for your input!

Palomine 07-27-2013 03:50 AM

Anything you use is going to be pulling dust through the motor, and while many of ours get 2 seasons? Most don't.

Not sure if the extra expense is worth it?

But hope to see those that have put in ceiling fans come and tell us what they are finding out.

Cynical25 07-27-2013 11:14 AM

The industrial ones have sealed motor housing to keep dust out,, and should last many years. Ended up buying a cheap HDX from Home depot, as many other boarders are perfectly happy with them
Posted via Mobile Device

BigGirlsRideWarmbloods 07-27-2013 02:13 PM

The trick to making $20 box fans last is to clean them with a leaf blower once a month. And when you're done using them for the season, blow them clean and cover them with a garbage bag before you store them.

I've had my same fans for 5 years, pretty good barn fans.
Posted via Mobile Device