The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Mane too short? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/mane-too-short-23661/)

xpyrrohs 03-02-2009 08:18 PM

Mane too short?

So I cut Pyro's mane Friday night, and I trimmed/thinned it on Sunday. He was being a stinker about the scissors and I'm afraid I may of cut it too short :/ It doesn't look like a mohawk or anything, I'm just afraid I won't be able to braid it for the show on the 28th. So some opinions would be good!
in the first picture, that's the way it looked before I trimmed and thinned it yesterday, I think I probably cut off another inch or two. The second picture is from sunday, I wasn't too worried about it so its not an "intended" mane view, but I found out the first show is less than a month away and I won't be able to see him until Wednesday to get a better photo -.-

Sure, he lets me take the clippers to his bridle path, but freaks out when I cut his mane with regular old scissors -.-

Oh, and I have another Question about bathing... I want to give him a bath but I'm not sure what the right temperature is. I have access to hot water so whats the coldest temperature outside thats "safe" to give him a bath in? I don't have a cooler to put on him afterwards, so keep that in mind.

Mane - Before:
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...Picture001.png

Mane - After:
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...cture003-2.png

PoptartShop 03-02-2009 08:24 PM

Aw, I don't think it's TOO short- I mean it will deff. grow from now to the 28th, so I think it will be OK for the show. If you're really worried you can try some MTG, but it will definitely grow on its own in time.
As for bathing, for me I think anywhere from 70ish+ outside is good. Just be careful he doesn't chill afterwards, make sure he gets dried properly. :)

xpyrrohs 03-02-2009 08:40 PM

Thanks! And from what I've been reading, MTG sounds like some amazing stuff, I might try it on his tail if nothing else xD I'll see how fast his mane grows in the next couple of weeks and maybe try it then.
Okay, I'll check the weather and see when it's supposed to get at least 70 (: And I always make sure they're dried off before I set them 'free' in the pasture, lest they roll when they're still wet -.- haha

amandaandeggo 03-02-2009 08:42 PM

i've braided shorter than that, you should be okay, just dont put ant conditioner in it, short and slippery is no fun. short alone will be okay.

xpyrrohs 03-02-2009 08:46 PM

hahah, okay, thanks!

katieandduke 03-02-2009 08:47 PM

lol.. i cant braid duke's anymore.. he lost the middle part of his mane so it was all uneven so i cut it alll even and well... it is maybe 1in long.. he has a mohawk going on in some places.. in others it lays down..lol.. but on th plus side i got a lock of his mane..lol

Solo 03-02-2009 09:16 PM

Aw, I think it looks cute! It should definitely grow back by the twenty-eighth, especially if you start using MTG!

Could you just band it instead of braiding it?

May have gotten that term wrong.. It has been quite a while since I was in the show ring...

Whiskey Lullaby 03-03-2009 03:55 PM

This has nothing do to with his mane, but is that blankie a Weatherbeeta? it looks JUST like mine!

xpyrrohs 03-04-2009 12:29 AM

Hahaha, yeah, it is Whiskey xD I love it, its the only blue blanket I could find that was just the right shade :D
It is called banding, Solo xD Well after looking at it and comparing, I think it'll be long enough to braid... since it's supposed to be fairly short anyways.
Aww, I'm sorry Katie :( But the best thing about hair is that it will eventually grow back xD and i have a lock of rio's and pyro's mane.... i think my dad threw away pyro's though -.- which pisses me off... It's going to take forever to grow it back long enough D:<

My2Geldings 03-04-2009 09:07 AM

The length looks fine to me. I've seen some horses that were braided with less mane than that so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm assuming you are going to be showing soon?
It looks great.