Starting A Mare In Her 3rd/4th Month Of Pregnancy Under Saddle,Too Risky?
The original plan had been to put a month of training on Juno this spring before breeding her,but circumstances arose that prevented that from happening before she made the trip to the breeders. So,she is now in foal,but I'd still really like to have her started this summer. The trainer has an upcoming opening,which would be during Juno's 3rd or 4th month of pregnancy,depending on how long a training session I would decide to go with.Normally I wouldn't worry about it as long as the mare was past their 2nd month but not too far along,but with Juno being as hot blooded as she is,I'm a little hesitant as to how stressed she might get at times with all the new stuff,and how that might effect the foal at that stage. Of course,one has no way of knowing how she will handle it,she may be as cool as a cucumber about the whole thing.She is a 5 yr.old ASB,and this is her first baby,in case that makes a difference.So,what would you do?
Nope, they are either a mother or a ridden horse. I would not be placing added strain or stress on the mare or exerting anything new.
If you are going to breed you and pretty much say bye bye to competing/riding for 2 years. If you wanted to start the are i would have bred her next summer but its too late now.
she might be fine, but she might not. its your decision to risk, or not.
Personally I try to treat my animals with some dignity. If someone wanted to send me to physical training right now, id punch them in the face, then puke on them. So I can imagine she may be lesa than her usual level of cooperative, if you do send her out.
I'd do lots of ground work first, make sure she's very fit and comfortable working. Since she's 90-120 days into her pregnancy, she should be well implanted but ......putting her in work could cause her to slip the pregnancy. As long as she's young, healthy and doesn't seem labored or uncomfortable she should be alright but I'd check with the vet first and maybe see if he wanted her on Regumate for 30 days or so as a precaution.
As Dreamcatcher so wisely posted, if you take it slow and calm I see no problem with the mare being trained to ride. I ride all my mares until a 3 months before the foal. The same as I do when they are not pregnant.
I just bred 2 maiden mares they are both now in training to be ridden.
Get the ground work down and make sure the mare is ready for the saddle and rider mentally. Then there should be no problems.
Plenty of mares foal , wean and show in the same year. Nutrition is the key and ensuring the mare gets plenty of exercise before and during pregnancy. Shalom
Someone broke my horse three days before she gave birth, then again we didn't know she was pregnant, they guy who rode her, rode her six miles that day. So it's fine to go ahead and ride her!
Hold on I would not break any mare that far along in her pregnancy. EVER.
Breaking her that far along probably triggered her to foal. The above poster got lucky IMO. The last trimester of pregnancy is when the foal rapidly develops. This is a critical time for both mare and foal. Stress is not good for either mare or devoloping foal at this stage.
I would not transport a mare that far along much less have her broken to saddle.
I know of no vet or equine professional that would agree to breaking a mare days before she was due to foal. Shalom
If you truly weren't aware she was pregnant then that is one thing but if she was that close there were signs IMO. I agree it likely precipitated labor and that poster was very lucky. Not something you could use to claim it is safe to ride a mare that is pregnant. If it is a mare that is broke and ridden then no issue to work or ride through much of the pregnancy. If the horse has never been ridden then ground work and only if they exhibit the right mindset would I continue.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0