The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Tail braiding woes; can't get the dock hair (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/tail-braiding-woes%3B-cant-get-dock-236730/)

TerciopeladoCaballo 07-19-2013 05:14 PM

Tail braiding woes; can't get the dock hair

I dampen it, I try it dry, I put gel in it; I can't get my mare's top dock hairs to come together for a braid! :-(
I'm trying to get ideas to dress up my mare for a birthday party in January, a little girl wants to play Princess and ride her while I lead from the ground, a typical pony ride with a theme. The horse herself is a 15.2hh gray Paint, with a white-gray tail and a white/red/black mane, and two white hooves. I thought it would be adorable to braid her up and put flowers and ribbons in her hair, also paint her hooves, but I can't get the upper tail hairs... at all. I try grabbing them from under and to the sides, they won't reach. I think my mare's new neighbors might have chewed her tail, as I see they've messed her mane up a bit.
I should have enough time for them to grow, so can I just skip the dock hairs and bag up the whole thing with the lower portion braided? Her mane is about 4 inches long, I think I'll let that grow out as well and just braid or band it for when I go out hacking.
Any tricks to at least give the appearance of a braided tail? Or some other fancy way to do it up for a Princess-themed party?

My2Geldings 07-19-2013 05:47 PM

Hair spray is a really good alternative. In Europe a big thing there for braiding is using egg whites. It makes the tail shiny and a bit more sticky so the tail will stay braided for a few days-thats for you to decide tho.

KigerQueen 07-21-2013 06:22 AM

Will egg whites bleach a black horse's tail?

TerciopeladoCaballo 07-21-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KigerQueen (Post 3120706)
Will egg whites bleach a black horse's tail?

I don't think so, since there's nothing in the egg that will take the color out. I've accidentally gotten raw egg on my horse's mane, and the black hairs stayed black.

tlkng1 07-21-2013 03:45 PM

If the hairs are long enough, braid from a point where you can and then weave flowers into the shorter hairs...or band them in. If they are really really short, am thinking almost like a docked dressage tail, the only other option is something like the hairspray mentioned to "stick" down the hairs.