The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Does anyone else have a Fox Trotter? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/does-anyone-else-have-fox-trotter-23720/)

CloudsMystique 03-03-2009 06:56 PM

Does anyone else have a Fox Trotter?

Just curious... Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who has even heard of them! Several people, when I told them I had a Fox Trotter, thought I was talking about fox hunting.

So... Does anyone else have one?

CloudsMystique 03-05-2009 11:17 AM

Haha, apparently I am.

Lori1983 03-05-2009 09:35 PM

Clouds, I don't... :( But the more I hear about them and see them, the more I want one. I think they're gorgeous, and it sounds like they have a great disposition. Care to share some info about their gaits? I always like to hear how gaited horses vary...like how do their gaits compare to other gaited breeds? Is that your horse in your pic?

CloudsMystique 03-05-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori1983 (Post 264896)
Clouds, I don't... :( But the more I hear about them and see them, the more I want one. I think they're gorgeous, and it sounds like they have a great disposition. Care to share some info about their gaits? I always like to hear how gaited horses vary...like how do their gaits compare to other gaited breeds? Is that your horse in your pic?

That's my horse in my picture, but not my MFT. He's a Paso Fino : ]

The fox trot is a diagonal gait, just like the trot, but the front leg hits the ground before the hind leg (making it a four-beat gait). They don't have high knee action like some other gaited breeds. They slide their feet, which makes for a really smooth ride. They have some of the best dispositions of any breed I've ever worked with, and around 90% of registered Fox Trotters are used for trail or pleasure riding.

Here's a good video:
FoxTrotSlowMotion

IheartPheobe 03-11-2009 05:02 PM

We have a MST! He's really smooth, I <3 him but he bucks .=[

satrider 03-11-2009 05:25 PM

I have a Fox Trotter:D, smoothest ride ever. I have had some issues with her, barn sour and does not want to leave her buddy. I'm still trying to get her into the gaits though, as I have not had a lot of experience. Any hints would be appreciated. When she does get into it, it's great, the speed scares me sometimes.

IheartPheobe 03-11-2009 08:42 PM

Ahh, crap. So we got two new horses last year and I was being very stupid and got them mixed up.
Our fox trotter is actually really bouncy and fast.. he trots with his back legs circling each other, is that normal?
He paces a lot, too..

Lori1983 03-12-2009 05:56 PM

Neat website, Clouds. :) Very unique gait!

PaintedLady 03-13-2009 12:13 AM

The PaintedLady is a MFT. She's one of the most laid back animals I've ever met....and her gait is Heaven!

CloudsMystique 03-13-2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satrider (Post 268177)
I have a Fox Trotter:D, smoothest ride ever. I have had some issues with her, barn sour and does not want to leave her buddy. I'm still trying to get her into the gaits though, as I have not had a lot of experience. Any hints would be appreciated. When she does get into it, it's great, the speed scares me sometimes.

Do you know what gait she's doing instead? That would be helpful.

If she's trotting, you could try leaning back and collecting her.

If she's pacing, try not trotting her for a couple months. Only canter and walk her. That'll help her stop moving laterally. That's what I did with my mare, and she never paces now. You could also try working her over trot poles. It's difficult (if not impossible) to pace over trot poles. And make sure you bring her down to a walk as soon as she starts pacing or trotting, and then try again. Don't tolerate it, and she'll realize that it's a bad thing.