The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   True black, smoky black, fading black (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/true-black-smoky-black-fading-black-237314/)

Shoebox 07-20-2013 03:04 PM

True black, smoky black, fading black

Soo, I was having a conversation the other day about black horses, and nobody could seem to agree on the fading aspect. A few questions came up.

Do true black horses sun bleach?
Is smoky black and fading black the same thing? If not, what's the difference?

For example, my horse is black. During the summer I don't do anything to keep her that way and she bleaches out to look a very dark bay. Would this make her a fading black, or smoky black... Or are they the same? She couldn't be a true black, right? I don't know much about black color genetics, and I'd like to learn more!

Also something I just thought of. I know in middle school it was all the rage to get Peroxide or lemon juice, lather up your hands and streak it through your hair, and then sunbathe - and it would give you "highlights" in your hair. Could I do this with a horse? Because it would be fun to paint a design on Clem's butt and have it bleach lighter.

NdAppy 07-20-2013 03:13 PM

True black and fading black are genetically the same. BLACK.

Smokey black is a black horse with the cream gene.

Your horse is a black that just happens to sun bleach.

As for the bleaching. I don't know and I don't know anyone who has tried it.

ThirteenAcres 07-20-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 3116290)
True black and fading black are genetically the same. BLACK.

Smokey black is a black horse with the cream gene.

Your horse is a black that just happens to sun bleach.

As for the bleaching. I don't know and I don't know anyone who has tried it.

So when people say a true black horse will not fade or bleach, that is just myth? I've always wondered.

NdAppy 07-20-2013 03:28 PM

Not all blacks will sun bleach or fade. Some people use "true" black as to mean a horse that doesn't bleach in the sun.

Shoebox 07-20-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 3116370)
Not all blacks will sun bleach or fade. Some people use "true" black as to mean a horse that doesn't bleach in the sun.

Do you know what it is that determines whether or not a horse will sun fade?

NdAppy 07-20-2013 03:32 PM

Nope. Some people speculate on a lack of copper, others speculate on different things. There is no for sure known reason why one horse will fade and another wont.

Shoebox 07-20-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 3116402)
Nope. Some people speculate on a lack of copper, others speculate on different things. There is no for sure known reason why one horse will fade and another wont.

Thanks for all your answers!

I have another one to throw at you (or whoever). I know true blacks have black skin. Is this ONLY true blacks? Is it a reliable way of determining type? So, I could go out to my pony and look at her skin to determine if she's a true black or not?

Vidaloco 07-20-2013 03:42 PM

I don't know much about genetics. I do know that Vida is a black with a silver gene. She will fade in the summer but it's more of a dappling than a fading. Her mane and tail are always black and she has no other markings anywhere.
A good site with fairly easy to understand genetic stuff- Starting Point

smrobs 07-20-2013 03:44 PM

Nope, skin color won't differentiate between a "true" black or any other kind. Most colored horses do have black skin. My gray, who was born a buckskin, has black skin...as do the rest of my horses and I've got nearly every one of the common colors at my house; bay, brown, black, gray, buckskin, chestnut.

Chiilaa 07-20-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 3116450)
I don't know much about genetics. I do know that Vida is a black with a silver gene. She will fade in the summer but it's more of a dappling than a fading. Her mane and tail are always black and she has no other markings anywhere.
A good site with fairly easy to understand genetic stuff- Starting Point

Your horse can't be black with a silver gene. If she were, then she would have a paler mane and tail, especially considering she is a RMH. They tend toward a lot of expression. Even other breeds, while they may not get the full silver effect in the mane and tail, most will have a definitely noticeable change in colour of mane and tail.

And that website is a really old one, with a lot of misinformation on it now that we know more about the genetics. One of the best sites is this one: Equine | Color Genetics not only do they have a lot of really accurate information, but they will keep up with current research very quickly.