The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Yellow Mane? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/yellow-mane-237394/)

katherinehillson 07-20-2013 05:06 PM

Yellow Mane?

I have a paint mare with a white mane, and at the root of her hair, it's really yellow... I've tried getting rid if it with shampoo, but it's not working. What is this yellow stuff and how do I get rid of it?

Missy May 07-22-2013 02:28 PM

There are a lot of products on the market to "whiten", but really...tide (heavily diluted) really gets it out. It takes a lot of rinsing to get the suds out...and I always follow with a lot of conditioner. I have used Dr. Bonners castile soap, too. It works pretty well, but not as well as tide when the white is really discolored.

Sahara 07-22-2013 02:33 PM

Goop handcleaner/degreaser.

Phantomcolt18 07-22-2013 04:50 PM

I've had a lot of luck with Orvus. It's a bit pricey not much but a little goes a long way and it lasts FOREVER. My app has a tendency to get discusting and his mane and tail turn yellow. The Orvus cleans it, gives it a great shine, and makes it oh so soft :)
Posted via Mobile Device

SaskGal 07-29-2013 01:47 AM

Try mouth wash like Listerine, or tooth paste, baking soda, anything that is whitening for humans will whiten a hair.

WesternRider88 08-07-2013 04:23 PM

My neighbor's horse has four stockings and some of his mane is white and when I was taking care of her horses I gave him a bath and used this purple whitening shampoo she had in her tack room. It was made for dogs but it sure did work! His mane and stockings were all yellow and when I used that shampoo his legs and mane were literally so white they were to bright to look at lol. But of course he went and rolled. -_-

Boo Walker 08-07-2013 05:10 PM

Don't forget to let the whitening shampoo stay in the mane for the recommended time on the label.

gigem88 08-07-2013 06:33 PM

I second the GOOP! Cheap at WalMart, but don't forget to condition afterwards.

JeepnGirl 08-11-2013 02:46 PM

QuicSilver works the best.
Wet the hair and put the shampoo in. But do not sit there and later it up and scrub it in. The more you can keep it a purple gel, the better. Let it sit about 10 minutes and rinse away. It does not leave the hair dry or frazzled either. I use this on my Lipizzan mare and it makes her sparkle like she has *silver* highlights in the sun.

Lostlita 08-13-2013 06:21 AM

That would probably be sweat-stains. Just water the horse down after it sweats.