The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/help-23753/)

crystal8489 03-04-2009 02:27 PM

Help!

I am in some desperate need of help before I do something stupid. As some of you know I have an Arabian colt. He is a handful through and through but I almost at me end and probably am going to consider selling him. For the last two days every time I have gone to feed him and put him out he has kicked me and I have had enough. Yesterday I talked to my mom and we thought about just selling him and find another baby that has been worked with and things but I get there this morning and at first he actually lets me pet him and love on him some while he isin the stall(and im on the outside) as soon as I open that stall the attitude comes out. Even just putting a halter on him he tries to kick! What should I do! Please help! Anything is better than nothing Please.. I really dont want to sale him but I cant keep getting kicked it hurts more and more each day! :oops: Please help!

Britt 03-04-2009 02:49 PM

He's being disrespectful and is running all over you. You need to assert yourself and be the leader. Right now, he is the leader. When my gelding was yong, he started t 'challenge' me and would kickout at me and ignore me, butafter I really got onto him and we had a few "come to jesus'' moments he became much better. An old horseman told me once that his view of it was "if it kicks you, kick it back, if it bites you, bite it back, if it steps on you, do something of equal pain to it". To this day, that's what I live by because not only does it make sense, but there's also no way a human is going to equal the force of a horsekick, bite, or their weight on your foot...

Sounds like you and this colt really need to have a serious 'talk' and get him to see it your way or no way. Is he gelded? If not, you may want to geld him, as that helps a lot in calming colts down.

I know that I, for one, won't and wouldn't stand for a horse kicking me... My own gelding did it a few times and each time he kicked at me, or even aimed a kick at me, I nailed him in the stomach with my foot. By the third day, he wasn't kicking at me anymore... You, as a human, aren't goin to equal the pain of a horsekick. Don't let him get away with it, period. Run him up and down a paddock, make him move backwards or away from yu and don't let him stop... take a whip with you and lay it to him when he tries to kick, but do not let him get away with it.

mls 03-04-2009 02:51 PM

I suspect you have made him a buddy instead of being his leader.

Are there any other horses on the property? An adult horse will not tolerate the behavior and put him very quickly in his place.

It may sound cruel but for your safety, you will need to carry a buggy whip until his kicking stops. He kicks at you, you smack his rump with the whip and very quickly and loudly say "ACK" or something that sounds negative. Not "no" though. No rhymes with Whoa. I like "QUIT" for normal naughty stuff, pawing, fussing, etc. Kicking is a very dangerous behavior.

Be careful!

Vidaloco 03-04-2009 03:02 PM

I've got a couple of questions. First off, why did you get a young horse instead of one you could ride right away? Second, is he being kept in a stall only or does he have some turnout? I know he is an only horse so he may just be going nuts in a stall all alone. Horses are herd animals so its not good, especially at his young age, to be kept alone when he is at a time in his life he needs to learn how to be a horse.
Next, have you ever trained a horse before? I hate to say you may be biting off more than you can chew, but training a young horse is a long complicated process. A lot of harm can be done if you don't have some guidance. Granted you can get some tips via a horse forum like this, but your not going to get the real training this horse is going to need to become a good human companion and mount. You just never know when your going to do more harm than good without an experienced hand to help you out.
I have done it with 3 filly's but I have several horse training friends who help me out in person when I've been stuck and I have done massive amounts of research. It can be done but please don't just rely on what you can find on the web to do it.
If you are in doubt whether you can take this colt and turn him into a horse you will be proud of and can carry you to whatever dreams you have. It may be time to rethink your ownership.

I don't mean to be hurtful. I just don't want to see you get hurt, or to see the colt be done harm that will be difficult to undo.
If you are willing to put in the time, I suggest getting some hands on training assistance locally. Buy some colt training dvds and take the time to do at least one thing everyday

crystal8489 03-04-2009 04:27 PM

thanks for the replies! I am going when i get off to by a whip. and start popping him on the rump with it. I have been told not to hit him beacause he will be timid of me but you know I really agree with what yall have said.
Vida- I got a baby horse because I have always wanted one and me and mom have talked about it for years and I want to be able to experience all of it. He is the only horse but he wont be for long. I kinda liked him being an only horse because he gets to buddy buddy with them and really wont do anything if his friends are not right there. He is not in a stall all day He is outside from daylight until dark. the house i am keeping him at is a lady that runs a different place down the road but she brings the mares there to foal. and she knows a lot about them and use to train horses until she broke her neck but she said she would give me lots of pointers when he gets older before i start riding. I just thought I would get more opinions on how to stop him than just her, sorry, I do believe i can make it work I was just asking for a little advice.

mls 03-04-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystal8489 (Post 264018)
sorry, I do believe i can make it work I was just asking for a little advice.

Never, ever be sorry for asking for opinions!

crystal8489 03-04-2009 04:44 PM

thanks Mls, I am not trying to well I dont know This lady is the one that said never hit him and thats just not going to work because he has a hot head. So I am Going to do as you and Britt said! Thanks a lot for responding too.

mls 03-04-2009 04:47 PM

I respect her opinion. There is a big difference though between merely hitting and discipline! His equine mama would kick him a good one if he kicked her.

Vidaloco 03-04-2009 05:14 PM

Thanks for replying and easing my mind about your colt. I feel better knowing you do have some help at home as well as the advise you can get here.
I've used a stick, whip or just whatever is handy to keep my kids out of my space. Go into the stall and keep him out of kick distance until you ask him to come closer.
When mine were itty bitty I always made them walk behind me. I carried a whip and just gave it a twirl whenever they would try to get in front. Most times I never had to touch them with it. just put it in front of them like a stop sign.
If you get a chance, watch a mommy horse with her baby. You can learn a lot from their interaction.

Spirithorse 03-04-2009 06:20 PM

One thing to remember is that AS SOON as he comes toward you in a challenging way CHASE HIM AWAY FROM YOU and do not let him in your space until you invite him. You don't have to yell or get aggressive, but be assertive and let him know that's not gonna fly anymore. I'd seriously consider gelding him.