The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   pPony paddles in the back and cant hold her lead (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/ppony-paddles-back-cant-hold-her-237538/)

Nikkibella 07-20-2013 08:19 PM

pPony paddles in the back and cant hold her lead

So, as the title explains, a pony that I have been riding for a while cannot manage to hold her back lead while cantering. She'll switch the back then switch it again.. etc but she holds the front. :evil: Today I rode her out to her paddock bareback after a bath and my friend and my sister were walking behind and told me that she was paddling with her back legs when I trotted her, could this be why she cant hold her lead? I have a picture of her in my latest thread so you can see her conformation.

Any help would be appreciated !!
Thanks x

Nikkibella 07-22-2013 12:03 PM

Anyone ?
Posted via Mobile Device

xJumperx 07-22-2013 01:48 PM

I apologize, but could you explain what 'paddling' is?

It's very possible that you just don't have enough impulsion. Horses will swap leads because they are unbalanced. I would try to just push her forward into the bridle. Make her use her hind end, pushing from her butt instead of just falling onto her forehand. You may need an experienced trainer to get your pony doing this, as it's a very hard habit to break once they are set in their ways of riding on the forehand. After you get her working from her hind, and pushing forward, see how she is. If she's still swapping, you might want to see if you can get a vet or a chiro to check her hips out, make sure she's set straight and there's nothing bad happening back there.

Nikkibella 07-22-2013 04:56 PM

I've tried getting her collected and letting her go long and low and she swaps every time , I have a trainer but she doesn't know what it could be either , I'll look into having a vet/chiro out to look at her.

Paddling is when her legs are not moving just forward and back but in a sort of circular motion , I ride an OTTB who paddles terribly in the front but the vet says that's just how he is , it doesn't affect him or his riding/jumping at all. But I'm wondering if the little mare has something going on in her hips causing her to paddle and swap her lead in the back.
Posted via Mobile Device