The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Injured (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/injured-23786/)

TQFgirl 03-05-2009 12:18 AM

Injured

OK, so I just got over a knee and ankle injury and I was wondering if anyone knew how I could get the full strength back in my knee and ankle without injuring it again?? Thanks in advanced...:-)

Tayz 03-05-2009 02:39 AM

Hm....I might stalk this board coz the other day my knee collapsed and I really want to know how to get some strength in the muscles of my knee...

mls 03-05-2009 02:25 PM

I borrowed a treadmill to rehab my ankle. Walking is a good, steady way to increase strength. I wore a support wrap for a good six months after the injury to help support the ankle. (I tore all of the ligaments)

NorthernMama 03-05-2009 10:52 PM

A bicycle type exerciser -- pedalling backwards puts less strain on your knee. Highly recommended for knee-replacement surgery patients.

TQFgirl 03-06-2009 12:17 AM

Thanks guys!! Well I have been wearing a knee brace everytime I ride for over six monthes and I figured that with riding my knee would eventually get back to normal but it never did so I just wanted to start getting back to normal... would swimming help at all?

wanderlust 03-06-2009 07:07 AM

swimming!!!

Loosewolf 03-08-2009 01:58 PM

Interesting timing

I as of this morning, am for a lot of reasons (some Injury related) thinking about having to give up my full time riding. I have taken a full body beating this year, and my pain threshold ain't what it was when I was 22 years old.
( 27 years have passed since then) I could at this point talk about the confidence aspects, or my slowly dropping enthusiasm levels, but they like everything else level off in short order...
In summary, I don't know I can do it anymore...I have to face it, I am not getting younger, and my doctor is getting tired of seeing me...How I hate this idea really..The reality of stuff bites...
I'm going back to my ice bag...It's becoming too close a companion lately...

-Lw

My2Geldings 03-08-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQFgirl (Post 264318)
OK, so I just got over a knee and ankle injury and I was wondering if anyone knew how I could get the full strength back in my knee and ankle without injuring it again?? Thanks in advanced...:-)

Depending on how serious your injury was, your family physician can write you a referral to go see PT.

centrestableswendy 03-08-2009 03:24 PM

Swimming is awesome. It works the joints and muscles, but is lower impact. I agree with CDT as well. PT may be the way to go, especially if this has been an ongoing issue. Deal with it now, before you have permanent problems.

TQFgirl 03-16-2009 07:54 PM

Thanks I will ask my Docter about the PT!! :)