The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Lower leg no stirrups trouble:( (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/lower-leg-no-stirrups-trouble-238210/)

eventer1999 07-21-2013 10:12 PM

Lower leg no stirrups trouble:(

Hi:)
I had a clinic with Cindy Thaxton a while ago and she told me to drop one stirrup and keep posting. This was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I'm right side dominant, and I don't think I'd have much trouble with this exercise but I'm supposed to grip with 4 inches of my leg below my knee and i can't get out of the saddle because my leg slips. I always lose my rhythm and I always have to bring my legs back up when I sit. The breeches I wear have suede knees..would leather be better? And when I was doing the clinic my legs were in jumping position in an AP saddle. What can I do to keep my legs from slipping? Am I doing it wrong??
Posted via Mobile Device

Mamaof5 07-24-2013 05:49 PM

Its not supposed to be easy ;) its an exercise to build strength and it is HARD. dropping stirrups and rising trot is hard-- make sure your cross them over the front the pommel of the saddle so you dont have anything swinging around down there, last thing you need to learn how to canter w/o stirrups with no notice.

After you get this down, expect to do 2 point with no stirrups as well. its part of the process.

MyBoyPuck 07-24-2013 06:38 PM

One leg posting is VERY hard, so don't knock yourself there. Ironically posting without both stirrups is easier, and cantering without them is easier still. Just keep trying until you build up the necessary strength. If you're lucky enough to have a horse who will humor you by slowing to a walk whenever he feels you giving up, just do a few trot steps at a time and come back to walk to reorganize. Until you get the strength to do it just from your legs, keep your reins long and hold the pommel with your hands to help get you up out of the saddle.