The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Prospect Horse critique... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/prospect-horse-critique-23845/)

xpyrrohs 03-06-2009 02:37 AM

Prospect Horse critique...

Grey Mare Barrel Racing Quarter Horse for Sale in Hammon, Oklahoma | Buy This Horse at Equine.com

I've been wanting to do western for a while, and I thought about selling our pony and buying another "horse" that I can ride. I saw her and thought she fit the bill. She's young which is good, but she's also very well trained too. Tell me what you guys think.

mayfieldk 03-06-2009 03:06 AM

For 4,500, I think you can find something that's a little more well trained. The video didn't show anything special, and showcased how non-responsive she actually is. The spins were awkward and forced, the neck-reining was pretty bad, they had a tie down for simple trot-work, why??.... this looks like a good old 'kick to go, pull to stop' horse.

HorseShoersGirl 03-06-2009 08:32 AM

She seems pretty quite looking, calm eye. Decent conformation. I like the looks of her. I feel she may be a tad over priced. But thats just my opinion on how horses are selling here. Give her a test drive and see what you think.

kitten_Val 03-06-2009 08:49 AM

"She is only 4, and she is already a seasoned ranch horse." sounds pretty scary. At 4 they are still babies and don't need lots of hard work (which sounds like this horse had), because that may affect her legs down the road (in fact may in 2-3 years). I wonder at what age they started her (I mean trot/canter). Personally just 4 year old, hard working in young age, and NOT registered not worse anywhere near $4500.

Spastic_Dove 03-06-2009 03:40 PM

She looks fine, but I'd pass on her.
I don't like my four year olds doing spins and sliding stops. She didn't look as responsive as they claimed she as and she should not have that tie down on her at all. In my book, she's worth about 1500 at best.

Supermane 03-06-2009 03:49 PM

I went to look and I don't think that shes that impressive. She is also grade (although, it says that she could be registered... I honestly don't know why people don't just do it themselves). Her conformation is okay, but her muscling is incorrect. I didn't watch the videos, but I'm going to guess they aren't fantastic and that you should keep looking.

G and K's Mom 03-06-2009 04:29 PM

Had over a 100 calves roped off her? Worked in a feed lot as a 2 year old? Man, did she ever have a chance to be a baby? Way over priced of a grade horse.

smrobs 03-06-2009 04:44 PM

She probably is a pretty nice horse but she has had a rough life up until now. That does make me question her longevity. I don't particularly care for the way that she looks in the photos and I am with Spastic on the video. She is not what I would consider a responsive horse. Her sidepasses were ugly too. Especially considering she is not registered, though there is nothing stunning in her bloodlines either. Definitely not worth 4500. Not in this area. Maybe 1200 to 1500 and she would need a lot of work.

BuckOff41570 03-06-2009 04:48 PM

Personally, I think she has a good base on her. Just a base. She's overprice (should only be worth about 1500-2000) Unregistered, but nothing too impressive on papers to consider using her as a broodie later on in life. For 4500 you can find a horse that is already patterned and ready to haul. (for barrels I mean)

Aside from that I wouldnt trust the owners so much as far as their training methods go. She's a 4 year old in a tiedown...which I believe is never needed. Its not adjusted properly and I don't like the way she's riding the horse to begin with.

I'd pass on her and look for something price appropriately.
What exactly are you looking for aside from a horse you can ride western on?

Spastic_Dove 03-06-2009 05:17 PM

Don't know what you are looking for but:

Other Mare Trail Horse Appaloosa Horse for Sale in Norman, Oklahoma | Buy This Horse at Equine.com

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1367548 - Sunset Shadow\'s Candygirl

I think this guy is adorable: DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1359584 - Big John

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1318789 - Rollbac Holly Jac

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1345500 - ID SoonerBea Blessing

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1294894 - MZSMOKNSUGARBRITCHES

Really like this guy: DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1300136 - Docs In Town