The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Forelock hair growth (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/forelock-hair-growth-238553/)

Missy May 07-22-2013 02:52 PM

Forelock hair growth

My appyX mare has almost no forelock. It is the exact same length it was when she was a 2 yo. It is sun damaged (black hairs have faded to deep reddish), and frizzy (what there is of her mane and and tail is very silky, smooth, and soft). B/c of her forelock's "frizziness" and texture it "poofs" out and can appear to be far more than the tiny amount it actually is.

With all of that said, I am left wondering, does each hair actually never grow or does it just grow 2-3 inches or so and then fall out to be replaced by the next? Her main does not grow much, either. I like her mane, it is easy to care for and "fits" her. But the forelock, hmmm.

So here is my question, has anyone ever had this same experience and trimmed it all the way down...if so, did it grow back?

Oliveren15 07-25-2013 01:19 AM

Well appys tend to have short, frizzy, and sparse manes and tails. I have one at my boarding stable and in the 2 years I've known him his manes probably grown an inch or two, and his forelock is poof-tacular :D. Probably the best thing for it is to condition the crap outta it when you bath her, and detangler when you comb it so that the hair breakage is minimal.:D Also, forelocks tend to grow a lot slower compared to the rest of the mane.

deserthorsewoman 07-25-2013 02:00 AM

It's not an appy thing exclusively....I had 2 TB' s with a disease for a forelock. One didn't grow at all for the 15 years I had the horse. Mane and tail were thick and wavy. Now my appendix...three hairs in 8 rows. The QH the same...well, maybe 4 in 8. The Arab...thick, long forelock.
so, I'm subbing, waiting for the magic potion somebody out there must have......;-)

Dustbunny 07-25-2013 02:33 AM

^^^^ Agree! We have a Paint gelding with very little forelock and a short mane. It's just the way it is sometimes. : ) Makes it easy to take care of.

Oliveren15 07-25-2013 02:58 AM

Lol I wasn't sayin it was just an appy thing, just that I have seen a hekka lotta appys with flyaway forelocks lol :P

Missy May 07-25-2013 03:04 AM

haha, Oliveren.."poof-tacular"....such an accurate description. It has gotten worse w time b/c of the damage, I think. I have conditioned the pooh out of it, it seems to actually make it "frizz" worse within a day or two. I put vetrolin in it to "weight it down", all it does is make it shinier...which isn't necessarily a good thing for frizzlies. Her mane and tail are off the charts silky soft and smooth - just short and sparse.

B/c it is so damaged, I want to trim it completely off and just start a new. Although it seems extremely unlikely, I am afraid it will never grow back. I just think, "what if it didn't?".:shock:

deserthorsewoman 07-25-2013 01:33 PM

Extensions.....:think:
you could clip one of those little doggie bows....ya know, for Yorkies, ......on....they come in pretty colors............:hide:

Oliveren15 07-25-2013 03:07 PM

Well if you see fit, it may work to trim it off, short of her looking a little silly for awhile with no forelock xD it should grow back, but be prepared for it to take awhile lol. They make tail extensions... I think there would be a huge market for forelock ones xD

Shoebox 07-25-2013 04:04 PM

My appy filly has a very thin forelock, and a very short mane. I kind of like it, though, not gonna lie. It fits her.

My Percheron cross has a delicious thick lush mane. She used to have just a little manageable forelock, and then little pieces of mane kept slipping up between her ears, adding to it, and now her forelock is ridiculous. Maybe you could steal some mane and add it to her forelock? :)