The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   MY fellow plus size riders, food for thought. (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/my-fellow-plus-size-riders-food-238585/)

Golden Horse 07-22-2013 02:32 PM

MY fellow plus size riders, food for thought.

Being a plus size rider is one thing, choosing the right horse, tack, finding clothes etc, we all know that one.

As most of you know I am currently a plus size patient, and that is a whole new outlook on life. Being scraped up out of the dirt by the EMS crew, spending a week being reliant on a crew of nurses to move me, and do everything for me. Now having to get around without the use of arms is quite daunting!

So, just saying, it has changed my view a little, being a patient is hard work, are you fit enough? If, fingers crossed that it never happens, but IF, you end up in the hospital, can you face the thought of being a BIG burden to others?

Just think about it, that's all

Country Woman 07-24-2013 01:01 AM

Hey Golden Girl
get better soon

tinyliny 07-24-2013 01:37 AM

I want to put my hands over my ears, close my eyes and go Nanner nanner nanner so that I won't hear the hard reality of what you just said. ARGH! NOOOOOO. I am NOT fit enough and it sucks to admit that.
But, I appreciate where you are coming from and the real meaning of your message. I know , . . . . I know.

Tracer 07-24-2013 02:50 AM

I know the feeling. I was only vaguely conscious when I was being lifted into the ambulance and, as there was only one paramedic, it was lucky my parents had rushed to be there when my sister called them, as they had to help get me into the ambulance. I felt pretty horrible even in my almost unconscious state.

Luckily, as soon as the x-rays were done and the neck brace taken off, I was able to move myself, with difficulty.

Golden Horse 07-25-2013 08:01 PM

Hard reality hurts, but eating off of a small plate, with one arm in a sling, and the other in a cast means I'm at last eating slowly
Posted via Mobile Device

gahorsechick 07-25-2013 08:25 PM

Feel better soon!

lilypoo 07-26-2013 02:13 AM

I definitely can relate as I had two of my four babies while weighing in at over 250 pounds. With my 3rd, I actually had a nurse ditch me (and request someone elswe take over for her) because she found me sooooo disgusting. It hurt.

Being helpless after those two c-sections did not feel good. Of course that was 7-8+ years ago and I haven't done a lot about it till recently. Being large is something I might never get away from, but I can help myself be more fit so I'm less helpless.

Feel better!!

Golden Horse 07-26-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilypoo (Post 3167026)
Being large is something I might never get away from, but I can help myself be more fit so I'm less helpless.

I need to do both, but for sure my leg strength has been a bonus while dealing with this

Country Woman 07-26-2013 05:30 PM

I am not really fit either
my knees are not good and my weight goes up and down

cowgirllinda1952 07-27-2013 02:46 PM

I know exactly what you mean, I've been in the hospital twice this year, the first time in ICU with a breathing tube, couldn't do a thing for my own self, and it took 2 to move me, turn me, etc.