The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How much to feed my horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-much-feed-my-horse-238713/)

katiebeth1118 07-22-2013 05:49 PM

How much to feed my horse?

I have a 15.2 saddlebred who I plan to ride 3-4 times a week. He is use to getting grain 2x a day and the stable I'm moving to only feeds 1 time a day. I don't know how much I should tell them to give him, they feed them Up to 3lbs of grain. He will be in a pasture with lots of grass but no hay until winter. How much should I tell them to feed him? Will he be ok going from 2x a day to only 1? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

kenda 07-22-2013 06:04 PM

What type of grain is getting now and how much by weight? Also, how is his condition, fat, thin, fit?

katiebeth1118 07-22-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenda (Post 3134353)
What type of grain is getting now and how much by weight? Also, how is his condition, fat, thin, fit?

He is in great condition, not fat or skinny, just right. He is getting sweet feed I think I'm not 100% sure though and I don't know how much.
Posted via Mobile Device

katiebeth1118 07-22-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katiebeth1118 (Post 3134417)
He is in great condition, not fat or skinny, just right. He is getting sweet feed I think I'm not 100% sure though and I don't know how much.
Posted via Mobile Device

Also he will be getting sweet feed at the new place so it will be the same feed just a different amount.
Posted via Mobile Device

kenda 07-22-2013 06:14 PM

Do you know what type of feed the new barn will be feeding? Alternately, can you provide your own? Sweet feed is like junk food. Imagine feeding a child a bucket of sugar.

kenda 07-22-2013 06:15 PM

Honestly, and I'm not saying this to be rude, rather with the horses best interests in mind, if my choices were sweet feed or nothing, I'd choose nothing. I would see if you can get them to feed a ration balancer and then if he needs additional calories, alfalfa cubes/beet pulp, a senior feed, there are a lot of different options.

Northernstar 07-22-2013 06:24 PM

Welcome to the forum! My mares are not fed grain - 1st cutting hay, grazing (albeit sparse up here) and a terrific loose mineral supplement (free-choice salt also). They are not ridden as frequently as your horse, however. If he must have grain, I've heard that oats is a good choice....(absolutely consult your vet on that), but by all means, I would discontinue the sweet feed a.s.a.p. :)

katiebeth1118 07-22-2013 07:15 PM

Actually I was wrong, he will be getting Legends
Show and Pleasure feed. The barn he is at now feeds him sweet so he will be switching over to that. How much would he need a day if he is used to sweet feed 2x a day.
Posted via Mobile Device

kenda 07-22-2013 07:27 PM

I would look at the smallest amount they recommend for a 900lb horse in light exercise as a starting point. That's 3.5 lbs. From there, over time you can adjust up or down if he starts to lose or gain weight.

Of course, you will need to introduce this feed to him slowly and increase his portion gradually until you get to the 3.5 lbs and then let him coast there and see how he does.