The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Please critique this horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/please-critique-horse-23875/)

MN Tigerstripes 03-06-2009 07:49 PM

Please critique this horse

6 Attachment(s)
This is my horse Soda, 8 yr old QH gelding, about 15.2 hands. Please let me know what you think... specifically what you like, don't like, and what you would use him for or think he would be good at. My training is English hunter/jumper but I'm willing to learn other disciplines.. although I would like to learn some dressage & do more jumping in the future. Don't know if he will be suitable for that at all, but he's with me forever so it doesn't really matter. Oh and his hooves do need to be done... its been really crappy out here so I haven't had a chance to get them done. Anyways, thanks I appreciate your honest input!

I know he isn't standing that well, but he was being a major barn sour nut, so its as good as I could get.

MN Tigerstripes 03-06-2009 07:55 PM

Oh yeah, he doesn't usually hold his head that high, but as noted he was kinda freaking out :-)

FGRanch 03-06-2009 09:34 PM

Okay first off things I don't like

-He could use alot more muscle.
-He stands under himself.
-He has very tiny feet
-His angles aren't very nice in his back legs
-Small bones
-Butt high

Now for the things that I like

-He is almoist perfectly even thoughout his whole body (hips and shoulder matches)
-Nice neck and good throat latch
-Great color, love the barring
-Has very kind eyes

Overall I really like him. He looks like a great horse! :D

morganshow11 03-06-2009 10:22 PM

Critique:

He needs more weight

Downhill,

LONG back,

I don't think he would be a sucsessful jumping or dressage horse. He looks more western pleasure.

FGRanch 03-06-2009 10:42 PM

Wow I would not say that he has a long back.

LauraB 03-06-2009 10:55 PM

I don't think he has a long back at all. He is a well balanced attractive horse.

Gillian 03-06-2009 11:02 PM

Yeah definitely not a long back.
I like how balanced he is.
:]

Rebelappy 03-06-2009 11:32 PM

for the most part i think hes well put together but i think fehrgroundranch made some good points .Do think he could use some wieght on him too

kchfuller 03-06-2009 11:56 PM

he is cute!

a little more weight and muscle for sure ... but that is really all i see. He could jump .. i love the different colors in the hunter ring (go figure that i have a chestnut and liver chestnut, haha) but you have to find out if he likes it :)

good luck!

MN Tigerstripes 03-07-2009 01:29 PM

Thanks for your insight guys! I'm looking at his weight on here and he does look thin in the pics, but then I weigh him and he's 1200 pounds, with a BCS of 6... So not quite sure, but I will up his ration esp now that I'm working him. Definately needs muscle I agree. Its been a long winter with very little riding (as I found out yesterday on our ride, he's still learned some new tricks though :lol:). I do see in the pics that he stands under himself too. Thanks again for your compliments too :D.