The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Has anyone used a calming supplement? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/has-anyone-used-calming-supplement-23904/)

CloudsMystique 03-07-2009 12:42 PM

Has anyone used a calming supplement?

I'm thinking of putting my gelding on a calming supplement to help with some of his stallion behaviors... But I have a few questions.

Will they make him lazy?

Which one would you recommend?

Has anyone used Moody Mare or Mare Magic on a gelding? How did it work?

Thanks in advance : ]

Peggysue 03-07-2009 09:07 PM

what is he doing?? and what is his diet? Turn situation?

luvs2ride1979 03-08-2009 04:10 PM

I agree with Peggy, before putting him on a calming supplement, you should look at his diet, turnout routine/environment, and training.

My gelding used to act very studdy, even mounting my mare. Once I addressed his diet and housing, his behavior improved 110%!! Now how can be turned out and ridden with the girls no problem.

CloudsMystique 03-08-2009 07:58 PM

He's on 10% sweet feed and orchard/alfalfa cubes. He gets turned out overnight, lunged every day, and ridden about twice a week.

He's basically fighting with geldings, herding mares, and mounting my mare.

~*~anebel~*~ 03-08-2009 08:19 PM

Yep I've used calming supplements. They doesn't work and show up on drug tests, lovely stuff.

The best way I see to fix the problem is don't turn him out near, or with mares. That way he can't mount them, and his aggressions will probably cease because without estrogen around, there's usually no reason for boys to fight :P (The same thing applies to male humans)

JustDressageIt 03-08-2009 08:46 PM

Calming supplements will "take the edge off" but won't change behaviors.

Peggysue 03-08-2009 08:49 PM

how is his weight??

Look for Seminole Equalizer feed 1lb a day with NO OTHER FORTIFIED feeds!! if you need more calories go with beet pulp or alfalfa pellets/cubes you can also add some Magnesium into his diet

JustDressageIt 03-08-2009 08:49 PM

Just to add:

When Denny was on stall rest from his injuries, I had the barn manager give him Omega Alpha "Equine Chill" and noticed a difference; he just seemed more relaxed and okay with being on stall rest.

ETA - I *think* Omega Alpha products are made so they won't show up on drug tests

CloudsMystique 03-08-2009 10:36 PM

Thanks everyone. He hasn't been turned out with any other horses except my mare (who he mounts but doesn't herd or fight with) for quite a while. If there are horses turned out in the pasture while he's in his stall, he'll squeal and strike out and buck over and over. If he sees other horses from his pasture and they don't come over to say hi to him, he'll go crazy trying to get their attention and end up drenched in sweat. He got his leg stuck in the fence during this a couple weeks ago, and that's why I decided to try something. It doesn't really matter to me if it shows up on drug tests because I don't show him.

CloudsMystique 03-08-2009 10:37 PM

Oh, and he's a little fat at the moment, but I'm getting him back into shape.