The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Tails? Is it illegal to show a horse in a mud knot in Novice levels? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/tails-illegal-show-horse-mud-knot-239170/)

TerciopeladoCaballo 07-23-2013 10:11 AM

Tails? Is it illegal to show a horse in a mud knot in Novice levels?

I'm growing out my horse's mane and tail, and it's been easier to mud knot it rather than braid it up at the moment... Can I bring her into the Eventing classes like that, with her tail in a Texas mud knot, or do I have to either leave it alone or braid it? I can't find anything about tails.

equiniphile 07-23-2013 11:03 AM

It may or my not be legal, but in my opinion, it's incredibly disrespectful to the judge. Even at the Starter levels, everyone at the HTs here braids manes. Tails are traditionally pulled or clipped, not braided. A mud knot would look out of place and tacky.

It would probably be okay for XC.....maybe stadium, but dressage would be a definite no.
Posted via Mobile Device

CJ82Sky 07-23-2013 12:25 PM

the schooling shows we go to have people rarely in full show attire, nevermind braided. pulled manes and neat grooming are always a must imo, however. i'd say either leave it nicely groomed, or braid it for the dressage. stadium and xc are fare more "anything goes".

stevenson 07-23-2013 01:45 PM

I would braid it. it is just cleaner looking and should not offend anyone.

natisha 07-23-2013 03:13 PM

What's a mud knot?

GhostwindAppaloosa 07-23-2013 03:59 PM

Cloth and stone: Geotextile fabric, rock layers build solid heavy use pad reputation - Farm and Dairy

Chiilaa 07-26-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natisha (Post 3142690)
What's a mud knot?

http://www.cowboyshowcase.com/images...ry/war_kn2.jpg

tlkng1 07-26-2013 07:27 AM

Possibly for the cross country phase but I would say stadium is out and dressage is a definite no. As was pointed out the tail isn't braided in dressage anyway and in stadium I would braid, or, given that stadium is jumper style, leave the tail loose. You can spray it down with something like show sheen to help repel or keep the dirt from sticking.

Here is a much neater style tail knot that polo horses and field (for lack of a better term) hunters (foxhunters) use.

Pro Equine Grooms - The Mud Knot

greentree 07-26-2013 07:54 AM

I see mud knots all the time at Arabian shows in jumping, and I think it looks horrible. Makes them look like hunting dogs with that nub sticking up in the air, lol.

Your horse is probably not an Arab, but I would leave his tail down. Nobody cares if it touches the ground or not.

Nancy

palogal 08-02-2013 06:26 PM

I'll agree with everyone...no, not appropriate for showing. Braid it or leave it long. Even at a schooling show, that looks tacky.