The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Don't know which bit to use! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/dont-know-bit-use-239338/)

maddiekidss 07-23-2013 01:45 PM

Don't know which bit to use!

I just got my quarter horse gelding he is small only 15 hands an stout he's a barrel and pole horse the previous owners used a plain chain bit that kinda looked like a jr cow horse bit , he is pretty light in the mouth but takes his turned a little to close he holds his head high and seems to do alright with a jr cow horse that I have on him now. I tried just a plain Tom Thumb bit on him and he was a different horse it was awful! I feel like he could do so much better with a different bit than what they used on him ! Any advice?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ne0n Zero 07-25-2013 05:47 PM

What are you intending on using him for? What does he do that you don't like? Does he rush? Does he throw his head in the air? Raising the head is often a sign of pain in the mouth, it is one way they try and avoid the bit pressure.

I personally prefer to take all new horses I work with back down to a simple snaffle, if they aren't going properly in a harsher bit. That says to me it's either pain or a training issue.

Northernstar 07-25-2013 06:09 PM

Welcome to the forum, Maddiekidss! I Ride completely bit less and my mares are comfortable, compliant and responsive to cues - if you must use a bit, I've heard the snaffle is the most gentle, but please don't ever consider using a tom thumb on any horse - they're basically torture devices. We love our beautiful horses, and of course the last thing we'd want is to cause them pain. Best of luck :)

toto 07-25-2013 06:17 PM

There it is again-- 15 hands is 'short' :lol: :-P

id put him in a sweet six with a smooth mouth-- Him getting too close to the barrels is rider error not bit problems though.

And welcome to the forum.

SorrelHorse 07-25-2013 06:29 PM

I would keep him in the chain jr. cowhorse, if that's what he's used to.

The tom thumb is a harsh and confusing bit to a horse that's not worth the metal it's made out of. No wonder he was bad.

It sounds like a training issue to me. Work him into the bit, keep him soft and you ride light. Give him more room. Cutting barrels is not going to be fixed with a bit. How often do you work the pattern?

maddiekidss 07-26-2013 01:13 AM

[QUOTE=SorrelHorse;3163154]I would keep him in the chain jr. cowhorse, if that's what he's used to.

The tom thumb is a harsh and confusing bit to a horse that's not worth the metal it's made out of. No wonder he was bad.

It sounds like a training issue to me. Work him into the bit, keep him soft and you ride light. Give him more room. Cutting barrels is not going to be fixed with a bit. How often do you work the pattern?[/QUOTE

I try to not really run the pattern unless we're at a barn other than my own . But he is really quick and hugs the barrel I use my inside leg to try and bring him off
Of it I'm just wondering if the jr cow horse is really doing the trick! Thanks so much for the feedback everyone!!! Let me
Know
If y'all have any more advice!
Posted via Mobile Device

maddiekidss 08-01-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northernstar (Post 3163026)
Welcome to the forum, Maddiekidss! I Ride completely bit less and my mares are comfortable, compliant and responsive to cues - if you must use a bit, I've heard the snaffle is the most gentle, but please don't ever consider using a tom thumb on any horse - they're basically torture devices. We love our beautiful horses, and of course the last thing we'd want is to cause them pain. Best of luck :)

What kind of hack more
Do you use? I have one that I have for an old trail mare but its not exactly up to date and Im not really an expert in hack mores , do you use a martingale?
Posted via Mobile Device

Northernstar 08-01-2013 07:29 PM

I simply clip rope reins to their halters, believe it or not, and ride on my own land - they understand and obey with the slight pressure given. It's exhilarating to ride this freely with no one to judge or raise an eyebrow! My horses are comfortable, and the simplicity is really nice :)

SorrelHorse 08-05-2013 02:32 PM

My issue with riding - and especially running, god forbid - a horse in a halter is that yes, you can do it, and yes, it's freeing (I totally agree, I do it all the time on my mare) but it doesn't give you the same finesse and communication a bit would. My mare has a special bit that's only for gaming. It's a jr. cowhorse like the OP's, but a different mouthpiece. It gives her a little "lift" in her shoulder and she works good in it. She knows when she's wearing it that it's "Go time". Then she has a seperate bit for reining, cow work, etc. She knows the difference.

I don't think riding in a halter is bad, like I said I do it a lot, but you can't show in one and I like having something to help my horse's faults in the absolutely lightest way possible. It's a mental cue to her as well.

maddiekidss 09-06-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddiekidss (Post 3228290)
What kind of hack more
Do you use? I have one that I have for an old trail mare but its not exactly up to date and Im not really an expert in hack mores , do you use a martingale?
Posted via Mobile Device

No I do use a tie down though, I've tried a chain mouth jr cow horse an a two piece broken mouth jr cos horse and he just seems The same on both... Any comments on a short shank combo bit?
Posted via Mobile Device