The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   Rescue or Not? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/rescue-not-239346/)

RollyPolly 07-23-2013 02:03 PM

Rescue or Not?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I was looking through some horses for sale and ran across this guy. He seems pretty thin, but I feel I just need more opinions. Here is the picture and what they said about him.

I have a 21 year old gelding would make great kids or beginner horse. He is about 15 hands.He could use some weight but other than that he is good. I don't have the space and cannot give him the care he needs.

SouthernTrails 07-23-2013 02:08 PM

At 21, I personally would not purchase a Horse of that age even in better shape than this one, not to mention the potential health problems he may have now and then later on, someone who lets a Horse get that bad, probably neglected more than just food and worming.

RollyPolly 07-23-2013 02:13 PM

Do you think he is bad enough to be considered for rescuing?

SouthernTrails 07-23-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollyPolly (Post 3142106)
Do you think he is bad enough to be considered for rescuing?

Well, someone needs to take better care of him than the current owner. :wink:

The owner should be giving him away for free, not trying to sell him...

NorthernMama 07-23-2013 08:17 PM

"He could use some weight." Really. D'ya think? Wow -- the owner should be giving him away, not trying to sell him.

21 is not too old generally speaking, but you don't know what you might be getting with this deal. He could have a lot of problems. Why is he so thin? Is she not able to afford his food? Does he need special food? Does he have ulcers? Does he have arthritis? What kind of behavior does he have? And, perhaps most importantly, what would you expect of him?

I wouldn't do it unless you have someone knowledgeable with you to help assess the situation. It might also be an idea, if he is close to you, to offer the owner to help with his care for a month at her place, no extra cost to her and if you are still interested, then you will take him off her hands at no extra cost to you.

My2Geldings 07-23-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernTrailsGA (Post 3142162)
The owner should be giving him away for free, not trying to sell him...

That's exactly what I was thinking. Who in their right mind be willing to SELL a horse that old in such poor condition as a riding horse??? I dont even want to try to make sense of some people, such idiots.

Skyseternalangel 07-23-2013 10:41 PM

I feel you could talk them down since he is neglected.. the owner even admits it.

Looks like a lovely horse otherwise :)

RollyPolly 07-24-2013 03:21 PM

Thanks all. I will be contacting the owner to see if we can work something out for him to get better care and not considered a riding horse.

Lopin N Paint 07-25-2013 06:44 AM

Remember the horse could be thin for reasons other than lack of food.
So if you are thinking you could take him in, feed him, and live happily ever after think again.

He needs to see a vet. He could have something internally wrong with him preventing him from gaining weight.

RollyPolly 07-25-2013 08:23 AM

Any horse I ever take in is always thoroughly checked by a vet first. :wink: