The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   Back board but no contract.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/back-board-but-no-contract-239474/)

Serenity06 07-23-2013 05:43 PM

Back board but no contract....

Is it possible to sue an ex boarder for the unpaid back board when there is no contract at all? I'm in Kansas if that makes a difference.....
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 07-23-2013 05:47 PM

You can try, but without anything in writing to prove you're owed the money you're more than likely going to lose, and then will be out court costs as well as the unpaid back board.

Serenity06 07-23-2013 05:51 PM

Thats what i was thinking..... I do have a piece of paper with all the months added together for the money owed and her signature.... Its NOT a contract, just off a note pad. Would that hold up at all?
Posted via Mobile Device

DancingArabian 07-23-2013 06:05 PM

Your word against theirs. I would check your local laws about putting a lien on property (the horse and tack in this case) and perhaps even seek a lawyers advice. A nicely worded letter on a law firms letterhead threatening to sell the horse and tack within 30 days may be enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 07-23-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity06 (Post 3143498)
Thats what i was thinking..... I do have a piece of paper with all the months added together for the money owed and her signature.... Its NOT a contract, just off a note pad. Would that hold up at all?
Posted via Mobile Device

It certainly could. Keep in mind, though, that even if you take it to court and win the judgement, that doesn't mean you'll actually be able to ever collect any $$$s.
Good luck, though.
Posted via Mobile Device

SouthernTrails 07-23-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity06 (Post 3143498)
Posted via Mobile Device

A piece of paper showing amount owed to you with her signature, sounds like an admission of debt, I am not a lawyer, but sounds like a good case with enough evidence for small claims court.

Speed Racer 07-23-2013 06:08 PM

DA, it's a former boarder so I don't think the horse or tack is still on the property.

Serenity, is there anything on the paper other than the figures and her signature, such as wording that she agrees this is the amount she owes you? If that's the case, you may have a better chance at suing her. Of course, as Paint stated, even if you win there's no guarantee you'll ever see the money.

Serenity06 07-23-2013 06:14 PM

The horse is no longer on the property and they have moved out of state, just 40mins away but out of state. The past due balance is a year past due. All the paper has is the figures and a signature.....
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 07-23-2013 06:19 PM

If it me and the amount was $1000 or less, I would just write it off as a bad debt. More than that may be worth the time and aggravation of trying.
Posted via Mobile Device

SouthernTrails 07-23-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity06 (Post 3143746)
The horse is no longer on the property and they have moved out of state, just 40mins away but out of state. The past due balance is a year past due. All the paper has is the figures and a signature.....
Posted via Mobile Device

Out of State make it more difficult and costly, filing fees, serving fees by the sheriff, etc.
It could cost 100.00 to 150.00 just for the paperwork to start to them, then time off work, travel, etc.