The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Kinda Akward, but i'll ask anyway.. (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/kinda-akward-but-ill-ask-anyway-23955/)

morganshow11 03-08-2009 11:58 AM

Kinda Akward, but i'll ask anyway..

Ok, my dog Dug is not nuterd(sp?) yet. And my other dog Buddy is. They will, well, h-u-m-p eachother. And i NEED to know how to stop it(if there is a way.)
Any advice, is aprecitated!!!

wanderlust 03-08-2009 01:11 PM

neuter Dug

MN Tigerstripes 03-08-2009 02:31 PM

hehe, alright I'm sorry its really not funny, but my bitches hump each other constantly and once I figured out what was going on... yeah. This is very difficult to stop, but if you don't want to use your un-neutered male for breeding it may be possible. If you want to use him for breeding you cannot punish him for humping things... then when you want him to, he won't do it (a lot of times anyways).

One thing you should know is that they are masturbating. A lot of people think that dogs hump for dominance reasons, this is generally not so, it feels good so they do it.

Definitely neuter your one dog, that may help decrease the behavior. Otherwise you need to punish/redirect the behavior (I say both her, because both CAN work). Basically if you see them doing it, don't make a big deal out of it (any attn is good attn to some dogs) but immediately ask them to do something else. And praise them for doing the other behavior. Keep on top of it and you may be able to teach them to not do it... at least around you. :D Or just ignore it, they may have learned that you freak out when they do it so they get attn, so they keep doing it.

Our bitches still do it and they used to double team our male.... sad I know :D but he didn't seem to mind. We just ignored it, figured that its not unnatural and there isn't a reason they shouldn't be doing it as it doesn't hurt anyone. But its weird when people come over!

morganshow11 03-10-2009 05:24 PM

Thanks for help guys!!!!!

Lucara 03-11-2009 08:39 AM

Dogs will also hump as a sign of dominance. My dog will hump anyone new who comes in the house to establish his place above them. All of our dogs are neutered.

MN Tigerstripes 03-11-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucara (Post 267895)
Dogs will also hump as a sign of dominance. My dog will hump anyone new who comes in the house to establish his place above them. All of our dogs are neutered.

This definitely does occur but its actually very rare according to the behaviorologists that I have spoken with, much more rare than most people think it is. I've only met one dog that humped for dominance, he was neutered to come to think of it (of course it was trying to hump my dog :D) and my family has been breeding labs for 20 + years, my brother is a trainer, and overall my extended family and friends own 50+ dogs (that I know personally).

Look at the way the dogs are acting for a clue about what it is, if they are all having a grand old time or the dog doing the humping is all happy go lucky, its probably not dominance, if there is aggression from the dog doing the humping then its probably a dominance behavior although it could more correctly called insecure/fearful behavior. Truly dominant dogs are not aggressive because they are completely confident. Think about it if you know you are "the boss" there isn't any reason to be aggressive. The dogs that usually show aggressive behavior or other "dominance" behaviors are beta dogs (#2s) or very insecure nervous dogs.

If you do think its a dominance/fear issue you should work on making the dog more confident, mostly by asserting yourself as the leader. This doesn't mean hitting it or putting it on the ground by its scruff. Just act like your the boss in everything you do. Think confident, assertive, but not violent/explosive at all. Kinda like horses :D

If you're unsure and this is causing a real problem in your household ask your vet for a referral to a behaviorologist or someone who specializes in these type of issues. If you live in MN I have a couple of very good vets who have a high success rate with these types of problems.

Walkamile 03-15-2009 10:13 PM

Well......this definitely explains my parents little dogs "love" for his stuffed teddy bear. :shock:

MN Tigerstripes 03-16-2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkamile (Post 270780)
Well......this definitely explains my parents little dogs "love" for his stuffed teddy bear. :shock:

My ex's Yorkie used to go at pillows or blankets...it was freaking gross, esp cuz he HAD to bring them out in the living room!! :oops::lol:

Lucara 03-17-2009 12:27 AM

Lol my parents Japanese chin will randomly try to hump our cats..poor confused dog. All of our animals are fixed though.

MN Tigerstripes 03-17-2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucara (Post 271521)
Lol my parents Japanese chin will randomly try to hump our cats..poor confused dog. All of our animals are fixed though.

LMFAO! I can just imagine the kitties joy with this whole turn of events! :lol::lol: