The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Who wants to give a guess at what this is? *Gross Pics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/who-wants-give-guess-what-%2Agross-239690/)

SketchyHorse 07-23-2013 11:22 PM

Who wants to give a guess at what this is? *Gross Pics

4 Attachment(s)
Forewarning: Pictures are not all that graphic, but they can be gross to some people.

Cally came up with this like... perfect circle on her back a few weeks ago. I showed everyone in the barn & we assumed it was a bite mark. Seemed weird though since it was a perfect little circle... It almost looks like a saddle sore - except my saddle doesn't hit this part of her back. My saddlepad ends right in front of where this thing sits. It doesn't bother her. It isn't sore. She rides fine (It's been so hot we've been going bareback). I hose it off every day, kinda scrub at it, and put goop over it (Tri-Care).

Well I'm out on a trail ride today & get a freaked call from the barn manager. This sore has opened up from her rolling and there's like blood goozing down her back. I told her not to worry it's broken open before (the scab pulls off it doesn't really come open or anything) and I'd be back soon. I get there and to ME it doesn't look bad just obviously the scab has ripped off, but then again I've seen it & cared for it the past few weeks. Decide that nothing has changed with this, I don't know what it is, time to call the vet.

Sent pictures to the vet & she things it's rain rot. Yet... this mare doesn't stand out in the rain. She goes in a stall at night. If it rains they're in. I hose her down after every ride, but she always gets scraped off. And I typically wait for her to dry before tossing her back out. Someone mentioned ringworm. I have no idea. The vet IS coming out. This will be getting treated. It's just driving me crazy so thought I'd see what all the possibilities are.

And... try to not make me feel like a horrible mom? *sigh* :-| I already feel bad with here I am thinking it's a horse bite and it could be something way worse. Feeling like an idiot.

Chevaux 07-23-2013 11:26 PM

I'm going with an insect bite that became infected and opened up.

tinyliny 07-23-2013 11:27 PM

Does not look like any rain rot I've ever seen.

SketchyHorse 07-23-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 3147082)
Does not look like any rain rot I've ever seen.

That's why I was like...? Rain rot? We have a mare with rain rot at the barn currently and it looks nothing like this. Her mare is also out on full pasture.

Trinity3205 07-23-2013 11:30 PM

That doesnt look anything like rain rot to me. Or ring worm. It does look exactly like a saddle sore. Are you sure when you ride the pad doesnt scooch back and irritate it by rubbing back and forth? Those spine rubs can be hard to get rid of once they pop up and can even be started by a bite mark.

Other things to consider are abscesses ( I had one do this on her spine before. from what IDK) or a warble which is basically a fly larva in there. It looks swollen. It is hot? squishy?

SketchyHorse 07-23-2013 11:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trinity3205 (Post 3147114)
That doesnt look anything like rain rot to me. Or ring worm. It does look exactly like a saddle sore. Are you sure when you ride the pad doesnt scooch back and irritate it by rubbing back and forth? Those spine rubs can be hard to get rid of once they pop up and can even be started by a bite mark.

Other things to consider are abscesses ( I had one do this on her spine before. from what IDK) or a warble which is basically a fly larva in there. It looks swollen. It is hot? squishy?

Which saddle sore had definitely passed my mind the first day I saw it & I was hesitant to even saddle her up. Yet when I did the saddle itself sits nowhere close to the spot. I also rode her VERY lightly that day to see if the saddle slips back. It slides down a bit, but she's ridden with a breastplate & that stops it from going too far back. The pad was barely touching the edge of the sore. I attached a picture of her fully tacked after being ridden - you can kinda tell where the sore is.

First day I checked for heat. None. Still no heat even today. It's not squishy on the higher part because that's sitting on her spine. The lower part is squishy. I poke & prod EVERY day. Hose it down & clean if off as well. There's a little indent in the center of the circle - which I forgot to mention.

smrobs 07-24-2013 12:46 AM

I'm thinking fly larvae too. It appears there is a hole in the middle of the sore...which is where the larvae would be. Perhaps a bot larvae as they've been known to make open sores. If the larvae hatched and dug it's way out, it would have left a hole that, located directly on her spine where there is no drainage at all, would have been extremely susceptible to infection.

I'm glad to hear that the vet is coming out, but if she sticks with her prognosis of rain rot...I'd be looking for a different vet.

waresbear 07-24-2013 01:00 AM

That looks like a parasite infection. Gross! Kill it!

My2Geldings 07-24-2013 01:48 AM

First off your mare is stinking gorgeous. I love that color of bay. To be it looks like a bite or parasite. I've never seen rain rot look like that. To be fair your vet could only diagnose it over the phone with what you described. I am curious to hear what it ends up being. Make sure you clean off that gross stuff in the middle and on the edges tho. The wound looked clean otherwise.

rideverystride 07-24-2013 02:14 PM

I second the people who say it is fly larvae.