The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   What is collection?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/what-collection-239698/)

mangomelon 07-23-2013 11:27 PM

What is collection??

So, I have always been taught that collection is when a horse carries himself on his hind end and lifts his shoulders/forehand creating a shortened stride and a roundness through his neck and back. That has always been called "collection" by every trainer I've ridden with but today I was talking to someone and she was telling me that collection is just a shorter stride and doesn't necessarily include being rounded out. She calls what I call collection, "roundness" and says that a horse can be round and collected, round and lengthened, etc.
My question is this: what is the generally accepted definition of "collection"? I'm confused now after talking to this trainer because I've never heard of collection not including a horse carrying himself on his hindquarters...I thought that was the main goal of collection. But I could be totally wrong....
Thanks!

tinyliny 07-23-2013 11:33 PM

Your description seems more correct to me

~*~anebel~*~ 07-23-2013 11:33 PM

There are two collections - the first definition you mentioned is true classical collection.
Then there is kick and pull collection - or most cases just pull! And see saw for good measure too. That is the second method you described.
Up to you which you choose to accept as correct
Posted via Mobile Device

CJ82Sky 07-23-2013 11:46 PM

here maybe this will help :) Understanding Impulsion, Suspension, and Action in the Gaits | French used saddles, equestrian tack & equipment at ISellTack.com

Kayty 07-25-2013 05:20 PM

Anebel, I think the description you're after there is the tried and tested (by many pony clubbers and lazy folk alike) "yank and crank" method ;)

OP, stick with the description you had before and disregard the other unless you so chose to take the easy road out of making the horses head 'go all pretty and arxhed' by yanking and cranking.
Stick with what you knew, stick to it, and you will get your horse going very nicely :)
Posted via Mobile Device

mangomelon 07-25-2013 06:14 PM

So, for example, can you have a collected extended trot? Or would that not be considered "collected" anymore?

jaydee 07-25-2013 06:27 PM

The best way it was ever explained to me is that you think of the horse like a spring that you are pushing from behind with your seat and legs and then compressing at the front with a light hand so you create an energy force that you control
When you ask for extension you are releasing that energy into forward motion buy you are still controlling how much impulsion there is or the whole thing would fall apart at the seams
No yank and crank - that is in no way collection

kewpalace 07-25-2013 07:34 PM

Here's Dr. Bennett's explanation, which is personally my favorite cuz she has picture, LOL. :-)

~*~anebel~*~ 07-25-2013 11:59 PM

Dr Bennett with all her qualifications....

You're better off reading sustainable dressage.
Posted via Mobile Device

kewpalace 07-26-2013 12:06 AM

To each their own ... the more you read from different people, the better you are able to make your own choice. :-)